Rear Brake Lever Bolt Issue

hario

Hi all,

I have an 01' TXT 280 "edition" and keep having an annoying issue where the bolt the rear brake lever pivots upon is unwinding itself as i ride

If i try to tighten the bolt up to much it binds on the lever and prevents it returning as the return action for the lever is just from the brake MC and can't overcome much torque on the bolt, and as the bolt threads into the frame i can't put any kind of self locking nut on etc.

I thought perhaps there should be a collar over the bolt that the lever pivots on and the bolt can be tightened against without binding the lever up? Mine has no real free play so it must be worn down if there should be one...

I thought perhaps red loctite would do it (blue didn't) but thought i would ask on here first in case im missing something

Thanks

Edited by hario

I've had the same problem;

The bolt should be tightened up so the shoulder of the bolt is up against the frame and Loctite is recommended.

The shoulder of the bolt can be worn, or the edge of the hole in the frame can get a bit recessed as the bolt is tightened up against it and screwing in further so taking up the clearance of your brake pedal.

Some choices;

Try a new bolt,

Fit a suitable spacer that has the effect of extending the bolt shoulder. (I've done this) 

On a Lathe remove some material from the underside of the bolt head.

File the width of the pedal and bearing bush to make it narrower (you would have to do this to your spare pedals also)

Hope this helps.

Edited by richt

The bolt should be tightened up so the shoulder of the bolt is up against the frame

It hadn't occurred to me that the bolt could have a non threaded section, im not sure mine does so it may have been replaced by the previous owner

Will pull it apart and check

Thanks Rich

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

It's a pretty poor system. Firstly the split sleeve bush within the pedal itself is not the best fit with the threaded nut. It's all too slack for me.Currently looking for a better sleeve to remove sideways wobble. The pedal then needs to be narrower than the threaded nut so when tightened this is not squeezed. I've currently added shims to spread the wear over larger areas but it's not perfect. Agree with loctite though. One day I will get there with an improved system. Any more ideas out there ?

I dont have any problems with the system. Only on one bike it came loose once (2001 edition). With experience of over 30 bikes.

What could be a possibility is make a bushing with a thread to go into the frame and a thicker part with the thickness of the inside of the pedal. And on the otherside thread aswell, with 2 nuts and a shim, one nut to set the pedal play, and one to lock. But you would need really think nuts (hihi) to make that fit.

I made a beautifull sketch for you, lol

post-19159-0-36011400-1452072352_thumb.jpg

Edited by crazybond700