What Would You Buy ...?

dingle

I'd go for a 2016 GG 300 racing..currently I have a 2005 280 TXT pro and it is just awesome, compact, very light yet stable, easy to maintain, spares easy to find and gives me so much fun every time I go out training(4 times a week for a total of 6-7hrs)

I would also wait for the new gg bike!

But this topic is offcoarse totaly worthless. Better ask in all the seperate brands section which bike is the best, lol :D

I think you need to look at what kind of bike YOU want (how many cc's etc), and research the different bikes with prons and cos (you can find them on the forums) and make your descision. And try to test ride in order to check what you want and how the bikes feel. (and buy a GG!;))

• Like 1

Despite most of the advice to the contry I want a 300 ...I'm not exactly a chipstick any more (6ft & 15 stone & counting)and I see it as a long term thing ..... (If I get a lower cc i "may" end up wanting more .... If I get a 300cc its well and truly "future proofed") I want to buy new, it's nice to treat myself, iv never had a brand new bike before, I like the idea of only me ever having abused / loved it, I want the most advanced I can afford and because I just do!!! Ok?!? Lol ......... My jury is still out on the whole 2T / 4T thing, for various reasons to include maintenance, ease of riding, reliability, weight etc etc although it would appear that there is far more choice in the 2T market ..... Also to consider for me though it's no use it being the best trials bike ever made if I don't like the look of it (aesthetics ARE important) even if it's at the detriment to some other factors ..... It's a balancing act ........ And also colour is important ....... For instance and I'm putting my flame suit on now ..... Personally I don't particularly like the look of the beta's .... It's the frame at the front by the headstock .... Just turns me off ........

So there you have it ...... Decisions decisions .....

Given your criteria I would hedge towards the Vertigo. You would most likely be one of the first kids on your block to have one. It looks pretty cool, it is designed so that a novice can ride it but will perform to the highest level of the sport. From all reports it checks all your boxes (assuming you don't mind the colour green). You are not looking to trade a current bike so their current sales model wouldn't be an issue for you.

I tend to agree with michael_t on the vertigoand check boxes, green being the question, thought my personal choice if I didn't already have an older 4RT would be the Montesa 300RR.

If I wasn't a Montesa fan boy I would snap up a Vertigo...

• Like 1

You obviously are used to a bike with power, going by your other bikes, However you may feel good riding round on a 300 but when your learning trials it may be too much in the tight sections, A 250 still has a lot of power and capable even at British champ level sections.

I see some very good youth riders that change straight to a 300 when age allows and they struggle.

As far as the makes go, I can't comment on the Vertigo as I can't afford one and don't have the cheek to waste the importers time to just go and try one!!

The Current 2T bikes are all very much the same, The Gas Gas and Sherco are my favorites even though the Sherco has some quality and design issues still.

I like the Gas Gas and Sherco to ride but My money goes to the brand that look after their customers.

BETA, They are well sorted, built well and the Importers look after you, They even replace frame and swing arms on 09 bikes still. When I have the funds to buy new again I will be giving my money to Beta I think out of principle. (If only they redesign to a lighter engine!).

If you want a Sherco, Splatshop will bend over backwards for you, Buy from them as they are top guys and know more about Sherco's than even the factory that makes them. The importers and Factory are no where close to Beta warranty or back up.

Edited by steve_earle

Dadof2 - I agree

Are you having trouble posting (3 times)

Posting 3 times = the internet is playing up, not keeping up with keystrokes etc, probably something to do with the floods or the high speed cables they are installing. BT email seems to be very badly affected at times.

On the subject of lose vs loose that is probably down to the wizdom of ITA

Why not spell loose as luce after all we have latches that are designed not to come loose and the are called antiluce

Perhaps some day the dictionary will catch up with the spoken language.

With all of the advice given out historically on the forum about avoiding first year of production gg pro and beta evo, then all of the well documented ossa issues, it's surprising to see so many people recommending a vertigo.

I'd only go for one if I had a second trials bike and was comfortable potentially throwing away most of the investment.

It's a beta after 2009 for me and although I ride a 250 I'd consider a 125 or 200, even though the 250 is fairly tame power is a hindrance not a help at my level.

I cannot stress enough that you need to try all the bikes first.

Especially Beta versus other makes. I'm a decent rider but I really can't get on with Betas. The GasGas on the other hand just suits me. All the bikes are as good as each other. It's all about what suits YOU.

• Like 1

I cannot stress enough that you need to try all the bikes first.

Especially Beta versus other makes. I'm a decent rider but I really can't get on with Betas. The GasGas on the other hand just suits me. All the bikes are as good as each other. It's all about what suits YOU.

What things about the Beta, didn't suit you?

The riding position just felt wrong. Whereas jumping on a GasGas just feels right.

Don't know whether it's steering head angle, footpeg position, handlebars or what but now and then over many years I've tried Betas and it's always the same. A friend of mine is the exact opposite. Always has Betas and has done for many years. A very good rider too.

Tried a couple of Shercos recently and they felt very GasGas like. Comfortable riding position (for me).

Bear in mind I'm 6' 2" so that may have an effect.

I actually prefer a GasGas with a Dellorto carb too. Easier to ride (spring is slightly firmer) and always run right with never any adjustment needed. So a standard Pro for me rather than a Factory bike.

There's so many things like this that means you have to try different bikes. They're all good but all have their little nuances.

• Like 1

I'll have to try 1st when i'm on mine next!!!!

I think the newer standard bikes 15/16 have inherited the gears from the earlier factory bikes. Off the top of my head I think the primary drive ratios have changed to what beta call quick gearing or something, It sounds good in the brochure anyway.

I would say the gearing was like a Gas Gas running a 10/42.  The Beta 2nd gear is like 1st but it makes 3rd and 4th more useable and no big jump to 5th like on the gasser.

I feel the Beta needs 2 less on the rear for me, 2nd just needs that little extra bit of leg for zapping the smaller stuff.

Going up a tooth on the Beta puts it equal to a Gasser.