2005 Sherco 250 - Known Issues / Buying Guide

krazed0451

Hi Guys,

I'm interested in picking up a trials bike to ride with my mate, but I haven't even ridden one since I owned a 76 TY175 in the late 90s/early noughts. There is a 2004 Sherco 250 (link) that I'm thinking of looking at, is there anything I need to be wary of, common issues, engine/electrical etc?

I'm capable of the usual bike inspection stuff as I've been riding for >20years and own/maintain several bikes, I'm just not overly familiar with trials bikes at the moment.

Thanks in advance!

-Jimbo

That's a 250 Jarvis Replica which were basically preproduction 05s, I have a 290 which is the only bike I've ever owned from new. Front guard should be blue

Places to check are play in the linkage bearings & shock has damping, applies to any secondhand bike

Check that the gear lever doesn't hit the bashplate, means the shaft has been twisted but is easy to change & quite cheap. A short lever from the later models is good as it's tucked away a bit more & allows easy removal of the ignition cover to let it dry after washing

Have a look at the back of the ignition cover, the covers with built in sprocket covers warp over time the water & mud fire off the chain into the ignition

There isn't any real problem areas with that generation bike, these were the last of the chrome framed bikes. Stators do fail from time to time but no more than any other brand & certainly less than Betas

Thanks Tony, I'm hoping to have a look at it on the weekend, good advice on the ignition/sprocket cover I probably would have missed that!

If I can't get hold of this one I'll be hunting for another one so you'll likely see me around on here soon either asking for advice on the Sherco, or hassling you guys for something else ;)

Nice forum going on here, everyone seems very friendly in the threads I've read through. Lots of good info.

• Like 1