Help With A 64 Bsa C15

winchman

Hello

Just bought a BSA C15 as a lad and Dad project.

Its 95% complete but a few bits are missing so looking for top tips for second hand bits.

The one concern I have is the points assembly is missing, its side points and I thought of fitting electronic ignition but having looked at the cost its just way out of my budget, so what would I need and how would I buy the bits?

Best manual to buy?

Any help or top tips are much appreciated

I had a c15 MX bike that I run on points, it ran well

I ran it with a battery and no charging circuit, not sure how long that would last on a trials bike?

You should be able to find the bits needed on ebay, or at an autojumble?

It could be the clutch is slipping or the kick-start mechanism has lost its teeth?

Edited by suzuki250
  • Like 1

Clutch slipping, as said, is "standard" Make sure you have plenty of slack in clutch cable, and readjust when started.

Thanks just always a concern when you buy something you know very little about.

The bloke I have bought it from isn't the sort to rip me he a top man but it was cheap as he hasn't even looked at it since buying it and has too many other projects.

The problem I have is its a Lad and Dad project tied in with his school work, I have been looking for months for a cheap project bike and found nothing unless you count the Chinese stuff I was offered.

He wants to make a Bobber so as I feel its too good of a bike to cut up he will be fabricating a hard tail rear end that bolts on then once the school work is finished it can be returned to normal as we wont use any of the original bits

My son cant decide what job to do. Whilst he is showing a keen interest in engineering ( it must be genetic) I wanted to help but not try and influence him too much, he likes scooters and custom bikes, he has to do an EPQ project for school which is either write a million pages on a subject or do a hands on project and a small write up, so he asked could we build a Bobber. Whilst I have explained its a massive job bigger than he thinks I felt it would be good learning and a good portfolio for any job he goes for. The plan is he will draw design and measure up the hard tail conversion, then with my help he will build a jig to fabricate it in. If need be and he needs some extra work for it he will design a stainless tank for it too.

Now we have a BSA I don't want to butcher it so we will keep all the bits and should easily be able to return it to normal after.

My lads spec was

Four stroke.

Spoked wheels

Drum brakes

My spec

Cheap

No too large and heavy.

Not a 125 ( more expensive as learners want them)

Easy to work on.

Not a cheap Chinese one I cant get bits for

Reasonably local

after lots of looking and several Gob Sh*tes and time wasters,( I have one but cant get it out till next week month year etc) the BSA is the only one I was offered that materialised in to a bike, it was cheap and local.

Its a bonus if its a classic as I can take it to shows when finished.

Bits we need

Points assembly thingy

Side rocker cover ( it has a home made tin one)

Exhaust down pipe any condition as its going to be cut into a short exhaust

Rear mudguard (its going to be cut down to a very short one)

Speedo and head light anything bobber like?

Seat foam though I am sure a bit of skip dipping will find some.

Source of tube and some idea what grade it should be

Some one I can ring up when I an stuck! LOL

Nothing wrong with a C15 as a project, lots of bits available and as cheap as anything else from that era. I'm taking it that you intend to go down the trials route once the bobber project is over?

My C15 is a distributor type but I've got a side points B40 so I'm guessing they are similar. The points plate just fits onto the end of the cam with a wire through the timing cover to the loom.

I've just converted mine to electronic ignition and it is a big improvement but for it depends on whether you want lights as to the best system to go for. You don't need electronic ignition though contrary to what many will tell you, my side points B40 has been very reliable and starts easily.

For parts I use Draganfly and TMS of Nottingham mostly but sometimes ebay as postage costs are often less.

• Like 2

Thanks

The long term plan would be to make a trials bike, finances and bits permitting, but the way things are it would be a few years away unless I happen to drop on the right bits cheap. So once the projects complete it would be put back to a standard road bike for now.

I wont go back on the road so it would be shows and events only so wouldn't really need lights, I have a couple of friends with fields and woods so we can go for a potter about

I can help you with the exhaust pipe maybe. I've got the old high level pipe from my bike before I restored it, it's a bit pited in places but totally sound and would be good to cut up for a high level straight through job or to use for when you go trialling. I'll start you off with the cheap parts, you can have it for postage costs.

• Like 1

I can help you with the exhaust pipe maybe. I've got the old high level pipe from my bike before I restored it, it's a bit pited in places but totally sound and would be good to cut up for a high level straight through job or to use for when you go trialling. I'll start you off with the cheap parts, you can have it for postage costs.

Thanks PM on its way