What Bike For Ten Year Old Newbie

akracing

Hi There

i am just starting to look at getting into trials as a newbie and my ten year old son wants to get a bike as well. he has had an oset 16 but this has got too small or him but i do not know what to buy him next.

we want to practise but but also do some club trials as well

Do i go for an oset20 or do i go down the petrol engined route with a 50cc or 80cc geared or auto? he did ride a 65cc motocross bike and had an auto before that so i think he would be ok getting used to having a clutch

please help all advice welcome as i do not have a clue on youth trials

Thanks

I'd look for a  Beta Evo 80 and if your son is tall for a ten year old try a full sized big wheel version.

Check that it starts easily, and if it is a used one check the rear mudguard isn't cracked and wheel bearings, fork seals and brakes are o.k.

My son had one from 10 and rode in competitions for three years on it without any mechanical issues only broken rear mudguards! 

Make sure it has a working lanyard cut-out if entering any competitions.

... just to add that an 80cc Beta in the right hands will get up and over all that your son is likely to need to ride over in any club trial at youth level until he is about 13 or 14 years old. They have a 6 speed gear box and are really low geared.

Not sure if you know this already but to enter most club events you will need to join a local club who issues you with unique numbers which you can then use to become ACU licensed and with youth riders it takes a little longer to process as you have to download and return parental consent forms to the ACU.  

I have ridden with my lad for the last 6 years and it was a real challenge to start with but he is really riding well now and moving up to the hard route ...I'm still cr@p but love it.

If your son is keen then I'd say enjoy every minute of it as they soon grow up and beat you! :-)

• Like 1

thanks for the extra info

i have contacted redditch club to get info about joining . went out to look at a club trial with stratford club today at broadway and everyone was so friendly someone even let me try there bike so was very impressed just need to get some bikes now.have booked a training try out day in January and hopefully going to get some bikes oer the xmas period

I know what you mean about them getting better as i rode motorcross for years and new i was getting old when my older son passed me on his 85!

Cant wait to get out with my youngest

Thanks Again

• 3 weeks later...

I have just bought my 10yr old son a 2013 Beta evo 80 big wheel for Christmas and he's loving it, he's had an auto 50 mx bike but never gears. He's picking them up already and confidence is growing. The bike is awesome but I'm biased as I have a 300rr. Here's a pic on his 3rd ride out.

70163663-7B1B-472B-A402-77CCFD32ECA6_zps

Edited by durham4416
  • Like 3