1981 Ossa Gripper 250

herman

A riding partner of mine has acquired a pristine condition 250 Gripper and it appears to be near museum quality. Lucky him!

He's unsure about a couple of things, however. He wants the bike to be as close to original as possible. He's seen photos of 81 250's with either orange or unpainted bars. Same for the chain guard. Both his bars and guard are unpainted. Did a mid year production switch happen?

Also. the stock shocks are Telesco brand. Are those stock and are they rebuildable?

Thanks for any advice, info, or guidance.

• Like 1

I had a brand new 250 gripper in 1981, it had steel bars painted orange but I soon  put a set of Renthals on. And my chain guard was also orange but made in plastic as was the sump shield, that soon cracked so I managed to fit an alloy replacement one I think it was a flatter one.

Mine had Telesco forks and shocks the springs were also powder coated orange and black bodys.

I seem to remember some sponsored riders had an anniversary model 250 which had Betor forks and I think Motox fox shocks. 

Back in 1990 or 91 I bought the one that I still ride today, I have Falcon rear shocks.

Stephen.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the info. Turns out the bike is a 1980. Riding buddy's research shows that the 250's were not imported into the US and only a handful of the 350's were.

According to info from the previous owner, only two of the orange 250's are in the US today. We think that possibly his bike came over for the 82 world round in Texas and was ridden by a minder, but we're not sure.

Any of you historians know anything about this theory?

At my insistence after viewing this beautiful motorcycle my friend has retired it to his in house museum. I did get to ride it a bit, though and was quite impressed!

Thanks! Herman

post-9813-0-61545900-1453732009_thumb.jpg

post-9813-0-28847800-1453732027_thumb.jpg

post-9813-0-43737800-1453732039_thumb.jpg

post-9813-0-39502500-1453732070_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Geez,Your supposed to invite me along when you are doing some Interesting trials related activity!

BTW,SWM Jumbo is going to turn out to be a sweet trials bike,got it running and rode it some in the yard,feel good about spending money on it now.

Hi,

If your wallet/management can't associate enough asset release to support your own in-house museum, maybe you could be sneaky and indulge yourself at minimal expense with an 'in-house reference library'?????????

That's what you get from a subscription to our in-house digital magazine - and as an example of the value of the library, here is one of the images, with Chris Sutton in action on his orange 250 Ossa Gripper - and I'm sorry it is in black and white - but that's what we photojournalists had to use back in the day if we were to meet deadlines........

By the way, subscribers can have copies of the photos at no extra charge - and there are no watermarks in the magazine.

Enjoy

post-19290-0-52228100-1453818857_thumb.jpg

I had a brand new 250 gripper in 1981, it had steel bars painted orange but I soon put a set of Renthals on. And my chain guard was also orange but made in plastic as was the sump shield, that soon cracked so I managed to fit an alloy replacement one I think it was a flatter one.

Mine had Telesco forks and shocks the springs were also powder coated orange and black bodys.

I seem to remember some sponsored riders had an anniversary model 250 which had Betor forks and I think Motox fox shocks.

Back in 1990 or 91 I bought the one that I still ride today, I have Falcon rear shocks.

Stephen.

Hi Stephen

Holden were the ossa importer before Quinns and had already started selling the Jubilee model. Basically a standard 250 with Fox shocks, Renthal bars and a white tank and seat unit. The fox shocks were quite an improvement. From memory i think all the later bikes came with telesco forks

• Like 1