Upgrading Suspension 245 And Key-Roo

mattylad

I have a Fantic 245 (monoshock with conventional forks) and a rough key-roo (1993 model with purple tank and red side scoops, although it has a later alloy middle box fitted).

I wonder if it is possible to take the entire USD fork from the key roo and fit to the 245, does anyone know if they are a straight swop I am most concerned about the steering head length and bearing equivalence.

The same question goes for the rear suspension unit. Are they the same length and fitment?

I know I could strip both bikes to find out but think it is too much effort to find the answer is no and have to rebuild them again.

The reason I want to do this is the key-roo suspension feels much better than the very soft on both ends 245 units.

Any help most appreciated as fantics are not really my thing and specification data seems hard to come by.

Are you intending on keeping the 245? Or do you think that is worth more money than the Kroo as a complete bike when you sell it? It just seems like a lot of effort to swap everything over. Why not just pull the forks out of the 245 for the twin shock and get rid of the bits you don’t want?  

Fair comment, I keep forgetting that the air-cooled mono class is starting to get popular.

I remember the Kroo being a real disappointment. I loved the 309 but the Kroo just felt heavy and cumbersome by comparison and the motor didn’t feel as good either.

The forks are a straight swap the 309 had the same front end as the first Kroo (launched the same year) and the same frame as the older air-cooled bikes.

Not 100% certain about the rear shock but I’m reasonably sure the 309 had the same suspension as the Kroo so it should swap across. The one thing you might need to do is add a bracket for the remote reservoir for the rear shock. I can’t remember when the Fantic’s first got it but the 309 has it mounted front left under the tank. 

keep the 245 as is, just swap the rear shock then break the k roo for spares and use some of the money to buy some forks for the twinshock project.

What engine size is the key roo, I might be interested in the bottom end, I have some nice forks and yokes etc from a 247 I could do a deal with.