Leaking Evo Fuel Tap

hillary

The fuel tap on my 2015 Evo became so stiff it wouldn't turn. Having removed the carb, I removed the fuel tap, stripped it, greased sparingly the rubber washer, reassembled the tap (now turns smoothly) and refitted the tap to the bike.

However, there is now a leak of fuel which appears to be coming via the male boss on the frame and the tap nut which tightens on to it.

I removed it again, put some PTFE tape round the boss and reattached the tap, but there is still a leak.

The nut on the tap is a double thread, right hand onto the frame with the tap itself featuring a left hand thread.

Suggestions please as to how I can get it to seal. There seems to be a point where the nut has to be at a certain position on the tap to allow it to tighten fully.

I've spent all afternoon on it and am no further forward.

Thanks

Beta fuel taps benefit from polishing the inside, many leak either to to outside or fail to shut off flow to carb, due to the rough original finish.

Regarding the leak at the boss. Check the mating surfaces are completely smooth and clean before assembly (use a magnifying glass). Lube the threads with moly (MOS2) . When the nut is just tight enough to lightly nip the tap in place rotate the tap in alternate directions as you tighten it up. This seems to seat the joint properly.

The nut needs to be on same number of threads on tank boss as it is on tap body.

The fuel tap on my 2015 Evo became so stiff it wouldn't turn. Having removed the carb, I removed the fuel tap, stripped it, greased sparingly the rubber washer, reassembled the tap (now turns smoothly) and refitted the tap to the bike.

However, there is now a leak of fuel which appears to be coming via the male boss on the frame and the tap nut which tightens on to it.

I removed it again, put some PTFE tape round the boss and reattached the tap, but there is still a leak.

The nut on the tap is a double thread, right hand onto the frame with the tap itself featuring a left hand thread.

Suggestions please as to how I can get it to seal. There seems to be a point where the nut has to be at a certain position on the tap to allow it to tighten fully.

I've spent all afternoon on it and am no further forward.

Thanks

Just checked mine on 2016 300 evo was getting  stiffer to turn off,5 minutes with oil can , turning has freed it up  nicely.,will get a regular lubrication now ,Hope you get it fettled mike,,

• Like 1