Flywheel Weight To Use Or Not To Use? Newbie Help Please

akracing

Hi

i have just purchased a 014 beta evo 250 as my first bike as a newbie to the sport, the previous owner has taken off the flywheel weight but has given it to me in a bag of spares with the bike. As a complete novice to trials do i need to put it back on or is it better to learn without it? What is the benefit of having the weight installed? 

the former owner was a very experienced trials rider so i want to make sure i am not going to have trouble by leaving it off

Any advice will be greatly received as this is all new to me

Thanks

Andy

I suggest to put it on and see how you get on with it, Personally I prefer having a flywheel weight fitted, It only tends to be the top riders who take them off as they need the power much quicker, But having the weight on will make the bike more manageable to ride at low speed, Help stalling and not spin up as easily

Edited by benbeta23
  • Like 1

Flywheel weight is a compromise between traction and responsiveness. I experimented with various weights with my 199 Sherpa and was surprised at how much difference it makes. With too little weight it was very difficult to make it up some loose-surfaced climbs that previously I could make quite easily with the full flywheel weight. I also found that it was much more tiring to ride in those conditions as it just took so much more effort and concentration to keep the tyre hooked up. I eventually settled on just a bit less weight than standard, though this choice will obviously vary between riders and bikes. I think I'd err on the side of too much weight though - a slightly softened response I think would cause fewer problems than a lack of traction.

• Like 1

UK Betas usual always come with a heavier flyweight right from Beta Italy as standard equipment for the UK.

It is NOT a add on piece but rather the flywheel is a heavier flywheel to begin with.  

I live in the USA and I ordered the UK Beta flywheel and it is approximately 3/4 heavier.

So if you have some flywheel pieces ?????  

Also the newer Beta magneto does not not afford flywheel

add ons.........

Curious as to what you have in the way of flywheel weights???

Cheers

My Gas Gas 200 has a flywheel weight, after riding my mates Sherco 125 it is actually alot easier to control my 200, it feels more tame yet has the same responsiveness and far more grunt on the climbs, also never stalling is an added bonus :)

take it off a 250 is fine / better without it

Nigel, I've seen you make the same comment about flywheel weights before. What is it that you dislike (might not be the best description) about flywheel weights. I understand that if your good enough you should be able to adapt your riding to suit but is there not an argument that for a novice or someone that's not going to throw everything at it they are worth keeping on?

The owners handbook for my 309 described using the heavy weight for muddy conditions the light weight and rocks and the middle weight for stuff in the middle!

What has coloured my opinion is personal experience at the old bvm test day, when I was lined up to buy a beta and tested a 290 (back then) vs a 250. Both with weights.

On trying the 250 up a climb i shut off near the top (where i felt comfortable i could reach the top) but the extra flywheel weight kept me going, ending up doing a wheelie up and over for a few extra yards, front end wouldnt come down.

I accept that a weight can help insomuch as taking the edge off the sharpness on the flat sections but it also gives a "run on" and I think this is bad for a novice. There is an equal trade going on here.

A) it means they end up rolling on into problems B) they learn to ride "around" the flywheel weight and C) although it might pick up quicker without weight the novice will learn the fundamental relationship between throttle and reaction of bike better, ie open it up it goes, shut it it stops.

I would even go as far as to put a novice on 2 250s and if he prefers the bike with a weight vs one without put him on a 200 or even a 125?

• Like 1

I put a flywheel weight on my 09 250 beta and I am very happy with it,before I put the weight on I found it stalled easierly and for me it solved the problem and made it better to ride without taking away power.

Does it run on yes but it's easy to control with the clutch and back brake.

If you are happy with your bike leave it as is if not you have the parts to try it for yourself at no cost,