Oset 16.0 36V Chain And Sprockets

original

I've bought my son a second hand oset 16.0 36v for Christmas. Took him out today and the chain kept jumping off. I've stripped the bike this afternoon and I believe its happening because the chain needs replacing. The chain has KMC 8F 25HA stamped on it. I also would like to fit new sprockets as they look a bit worn. The front is a 12 tooth and rear 90. Are there any opinions on the heavy duty set that oset sells for £64? Also is the 68tooth rear sprocket in the heavy duty the same diameter as the 90 tooth one it has at moment so gearing will be similar to the original?

Thanks for any help / guidance

Wayne

HA chain is heavy duty for that size (1/4"  (.25) ) I tihnk the oset heavy duty chain is 219 kart chain ( but maybe 0.35),  219 , 35 and 8mm ( maybe someone reading this can check the actual size of the chain ) are all very similar in size but they are not interchangable between sprockets and chain. if the heavy duty oset rear is 68t then you would need a much smaller tooth count on the front to keep the same gearing i.e a 9t front , if they use bigger chain 219 ,8mm or 35 then a 9 up front is the very smallest that can be used with these chains but i personally would not use anything below a 11t , i would always go for 219 chain where possible as its about as strong and as good as you are going to get for the size ( also rear sprockets are very cheap and widely available but you need the sprocket adaptor for the rear wheel ).  

HA chain is heavy duty for that size (1/4"  (.25) ) I tihnk the oset heavy duty chain is 219 kart chain ( but maybe 0.35),  219 , 35 and 8mm ( maybe someone reading this can check the actual size of the chain ) are all very similar in size but they are not interchangable between sprockets and chain. if the heavy duty oset rear is 68t then you would need a much smaller tooth count on the front to keep the same gearing i.e a 9t front , if they use bigger chain 219 ,8mm or 35 then a 9 up front is the very smallest that can be used with these chains but i personally would not use anything below a 11t , i would always go for 219 chain where possible as its about as strong and as good as you are going to get for the size ( also rear sprockets are very cheap and widely available but you need the sprocket adaptor for the rear wheel ).  

thanks for your reply, I assumed that the heavy duty set would have larger teeth and therefore less teeth per inch. so a 68t would be similar diameter to the original 90t...hope this makes sense.

thanks again

wayne

thanks for your reply, I assumed that the heavy duty set would have larger teeth and therefore less teeth per inch. so a 68t would be similar diameter to the original 90t...hope this makes sense.

thanks again

wayne

yes if its a larger chain then the diameter of the rear sprocket would be about the same i.e the 90T ( 25 ) would be around the same dia as a 68T (219)   but you would still have to change the front sprocket to match the chain type.

Hi,

first off al check the tension of the chain and how far the bolts on the tensioner on the rear axle are. the further to the back, the longer the chain is and therefor used.

I also informed regarding the upgrade kit and this was the answer of Oset:

It should be fine. Please make sure that your motor shaft is a ‘D-shaft’ 12mm. If so, the kit will work.
The whole kit does not have a part number, but is £64.99, and is called the ‘Heavy Duty Chain Upgrade Kit’. It’s on the site under ‘chains’.

I ordered the kit separately in Belgium, but still not convinced its the right kit. so be sure to order correctly.

@gwhy
Can you tell me more about the rear sprocket adaptor?
Because the quality of the chainwheels is bad. It is difficult to set the chain tension because of the oval chainwheel and I need to check it after each (MX) ride.
Maybe I can buy better chainwheels then...

Big thanks

the kit arrived yesterday but I've only had a quick look, the chain look much stronger and both sprockets look a lot beefier!!

i'll be fitting Thursday night so i'll report back after, FYI the set was £65, as you say, and I think postage was £3.50.

thanks all

wayne

the kit arrived yesterday but I've only had a quick look, the chain look much stronger and both sprockets look a lot beefier!!

i'll be fitting Thursday night so i'll report back after, FYI the set was £65, as you say, and I think postage was £3.50.

thanks all

wayne

is there anything stamped on the side plates of the new chain as regards the size ?

if its 219 then you can use 219 rear sprockets ( all sizes approx £6 from ebay ) but you would need a adaptor to mount the sprockets to the rear wheel, oset sell the adaptor but i have just looked on there web site and cant find it, in fact cant find any sprockets at all.

I did manage to find a picture of it tho...

20Roset-3.jpg

is there anything stamped on the side plates of the new chain as regards the size ?

if its 219 then you can use 219 rear sprockets ( all sizes approx £6 from ebay ) but you would need a adaptor to mount the sprockets to the rear wheel, oset sell the adaptor but i have just looked on there web site and cant find it, in fact cant find any sprockets at all.

I did manage to find a picture of it tho...

20Roset-3.jpg

the new kit is all fitted, looks really good which is what matters :D , runs well though I have only tried it on the bike stand, it does make a louder running noise, I've sprayed chain lube on it which does quiet it down quite a bit. I made sure the sprockets were lined up. the kit is quite a lot wider than original and the rear sprocket is aluminium I believe. he's riding tomorrow so fingers crossed all will be well. the 68t sprocket is a similar size to the old 90t one.

i'll have a look at the chain but cant recall seeing any stamps, I was blinded by the shiny gold, it didn't come in a box so I assume they just cut a length off a massive roll.

thanks for your help

wayne

Edited by original

the new kit is all fitted, looks really good which is what matters :D , runs well though I have only tried it on the bike stand, it does make a louder running noise, I've sprayed chain lube on it which does quiet it down quite a bit. I made sure the sprockets were lined up. the kit is quite a lot wider than original and the rear sprocket is aluminium I believe. he's riding tomorrow so fingers crossed all will be well. the 68t sprocket is a similar size to the old 90t one.

i'll have a look at the chain but cant recall seeing any stamps, I was blinded by the shiny gold, it didn't come in a box so I assume they just cut a length off a massive roll.

thanks for your help

wayne

Hello,

Glad for you the litlle one can ride again. We all do it for the smile on their faces :-)

Are there any partnumbers mentioned on the parts packaging?

Do you have the same lateral play as on my video in this post?

http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/topic/58025-chain-kit-play-new-oset-16-on-old-one/

Maybe some pictures?

@gwhy

Thanks for the info. I'll first see if I really have the right chainwheels.

Site: http://osetbikes.com/gb/parts/

Sprockets are on page 3, but the image is confusing :-)

greetings

• 2 weeks later...

This is the set I bought http://osetbikes.com/gb/parts/chains/ bottom of page for £64.99, it all arrived in clear plastic bags with no labels.

the chain is stamped with 219 HS and on another link PR.

I've fitted it and he's ridden it and the chain has stayed on and jack is happy!!

I cant recall our chain having the same side wards movement as your video shows, I will check (the bike is kept at somewhere away from our house) and reply here.

regards

wayne

• 3 weeks later...