Electronic Ignition, Swm Special

turbohead

I got tired of waiting for replies from a couple of sources for trials electronics and was surprised to see a mail in my inbox after almost no waiting at all. The guys at Powerdynamo in Berlin are of a different kind, both answering mails and getting things done (!). After sending my old parts to them, I got a nice, big box a couple of weeks later, old parts in return and a new system for my bike. I run a simple battery total loss set-up for lights when needed, so my new system is ignition only. 

If you are interested, the system is now listed among Powerdynamo's other products, so you don't have to bother sending anything to Berlin (if you need power for your lights and so on, they can fix that, too).  Please, note the new flywheel has threaded holes just like the old one, so your old puller will work. Simply follow this link:

http://www.powerdynamo.biz/eng/systems/7860/78605main.htm

• Like 2

Thanks for posting. Will you do a follow up when you have tested the system please. Did you run with the points set up previously ? Interesting to see how it compares as the standard system was pretty good, in my opinion.

Of course, I will do a follow up on this later on. Right now we are having a taste of winter up here, -15C, clear skies and some snow, so it's enduro time on studded rubber. Maybe in a month or two, conditions are different and not so icy.

I agree, the old Bosch system is (was) pretty good when set up right. State of the art 35-40 years ago, when we were used to service ignitions weekly, checking points, changing condensers and not knowing the exact timing for more than a couple of laps. But it was good enough back then.

Having said that, I don't expect any miracles from the new Powerdynamo system, just easy starting in all conditions, consistent behavior and no need for any service at all other than a new plug sometime. The new flywheel is 2,5 kg, so it will be interesting to compare traction and low speed performance as well.

Having said that, I don't expect any miracles from the new Powerdynamo system, just easy starting in all conditions, consistent behavior and no need for any service at all other than a new plug sometime. The new flywheel is 2,5 kg, so it will be interesting to compare traction and low speed performance as well.

I have been using a TXR engine ( 240cc) with standard flywheel which is 2.6kg. No problem with traction, will stall more easily (obviously) but I tend to use the clutch a lot to get round that ! Thanks for the update.

• 1 month later...

• 1 year later...

Great! My only problem is lack of time and too much office work......

Seriously, the Powerdynamo kit does exactly what it should, i.e. a nice fit and forget kit once you have adjusted the timing to suit your riding style.  I started out with the original timing, tried both a bit more advance and also a bit less, just locking the crank with the screw up front and turning the flywheel (as it has no key) and then checking with an indicator. As it is right now, I am running 0.12 mm less advance than standard, but I use a Keihin PWK carb, a slightly modified exhaust and airbox, so the package is not exactly standard. However, the kit is very easy to fit and work on, so everyone with basic knowledge and equipment should have no problems to get a modern ignition system on their Rotax (or any of the other engines listed by the guys in Berlin).

• Like 2

Sounds great.

Which typ did you mount the one just with ignition supply or the one with additional supply for lights and horn?

I' ve hear similar from ignitions mounted to Bultacos, sadly Powerdynamos units are a pricey.

Anyway did it change the pick of the motor when reving up?

I ordered the simple kit with ignition only, when I need lights I use a separate battery and LED-units both front and rear. Performance is very consistent and starting is much improved, no matter the ambient or engine temperature. When I run into trouble and stall it, a single kick is all that's needed to get going again. Regarding pick-up, the engine response is very crisp and the plug always show the dry(ish) brown electrodes you want to see. In fact, it run like a proper set-up ignition of any kind should do, with the big difference of a consistent system, always giving the same kind of power delivery without the demand for any service or new parts. Of course, it is not cheap, but great value for money anyway. 

• Like 3