Fantic 200 Air Box

maggar

The air box on my (regular ride) rear kick 200 is self-destructing - particulalrly at the mounting points, due to age and use. I have plastic welded it a few times now but could really do with a replacement. I've been looking for an original one on eBay for a while and have looked at Bob's website but they seem to be like hen's teeth. 

I was thinking of either getting one made out of aluminium (costly I imagine) or going with a cone filter (re-jetting?)

Any thoughts?

BTW - what has happened to Bill Pye's website?

Depending on how bad your airbox is and how complicated the shape is you might be able to make a mould from the airbox and make a composite one. Probably not much cheaper than an ali one to start with but you be able to make several airboxes the cost comes own with each one you make. 

Hi I noticed site was blank too but noticed that Nick now seems to have added more personal and MTB stuff so maybe it's part of his changes.

On the airbox front I don't suppose you know external dimensions? Reason I ask is I have a project student about to laser scan, model & reconstruct a TY mono airbox for his university project (I lecture in the mech eng dept). I didn't realise the fantic items were so hard to find. It might just be possible for me to get him to do the 200 instead as my 200 is in bits at the moment so can easily get airbox.

Our usual stumbling block in such projects is the remanufacture aspect-we look to use 3D printing the issue being build size. We sometimes break item down into smaller sections and reassemble. I'm not sure but if we do away with toolbox part we might get it on the machine bed in one go.

Will talk to the student when he returns in 2 weeks and see if he might find this more interesting than trying to work with the TY one where we would be looking at smoother flow into carb.

Will post back once I know more.

I got one of Richard Allen's Alloy boxes for my 200 pro forward kick ..... Not cheap but very good quality and will last for years ...... A good second hand plastic one was £70 ..... I was happy to pay a bit more & the bike breathes a bit easier too !!!!

Just ring him ... His details are on his web site !!!

Allens Used Trials Spares ...... & so as not to annoy people I have no association with him other than being a paying customer !!!

Cheers as always

The Wobbler

Edited by wobbler

An alloy one from Richard is probably best bet, 2nd 3D printing but it would need a big printer, lastly you could rivit some thin alloy over the cracks etc and then coat with a fibreglass (boat repair kit) or similar to blend it all in and add strength and paintable, this is how I made mine bigger in volume.

3D printing!! Wow, a genuine application for something I previously thought of as science fiction. 

I have e-mailed Richard to see if he has any of the alloy ones too.

Twistandgo, as I said I don't really understand 3D printing but would it include the mounting lugs and, if not the whole tool box section, another mounting point to connect to that mount (left side) also?

Wow where do you start with this.

Additive manufacturing (3D printing in its industrial form) is a real industrial process used by a lot of industries including the aircraft industry, F1 and many others. It's even used to print waxes for investment casting. We’ve used it at work for low volume tooling and machine fixtures.

In its simplest form you start with a 3D CAD model of what you want to 3D print or build with additive manufacturing this model is then split into thousands of thin slices. Each slice is printed one on top of another, building up the as it goes. You can build any shape and any feature or detail as you split it in a series of individual slices, hollow shapes or shapes within shapes are easy.

Mounting lugs would be easy. If it has any metal inserts for threads you would need to build it with a hole that you could then fit something like a Tapex insert in.

This is a link to an additive manufacturing company the videos will give you a rough idea of the process. http://www.3trpd.co.uk/video-gallery.htm 

I should add that this is all dependent upon the CAD model. With something like this how well the part is scanned and reverse engineered into CAD will dictate how good the printed part is. 

Edited by smokey125

I have had a look at my airbox and it too has several cracks around lugs and a small one around the side too! So some incentive for me to try and persuade :-) my student that this would be a better exercise than the TY one!

Yes, I would envisage that were we to do this exercise the mounting lugs would have to be included, although the toolbox one could be an issue.

We may have to look at doing something different for this mount as producing such a deep model could be problematic (in terms of cost especially)

I would imagine that scanning and creating a CAD model would not be an issue for us, and as Smokey suggests may need to allow for inserts in key areas such as mounting lug holes (I think the central boss that the cover fits over could be achieved by producing a solid boss and then simply drilling into it for a threaded bar).

More of an issue as mentioned by furse could be size of model - I envisaged possibly making the airbox in two distinct parts, a large open drum type shape that could be built this way up   I___ ____I    if you get what I mean, a large opening on top that the cover mates against, and a hole at the bottom for a separate link piece that could be produced that would form the box to carb link. The two pieces may need to have a little design work to ensure they mate well and can be sealed by silicon or such to give an airtight seal (if cost means it cannot all be a single component). I would imagine replacing the toolbox with some sort of design feature that would allow a long plastic tube or such to be used to create the mounting point on the other side of the frame.

We have several machine types available and cost is dependent upon which we use, but we give students free access to Makerbot replicator machines and I have just seen that they suggest a build volume of 246x152x155 so could possibly fit on that machine, and could build in ABS.

Any thoughts? I have no idea of the cost of printing at the moment and am making the above suggestions as a potential way of reducing build time and hence cost. This may be something the student can look to optimise.

Edited by twistandnogo

• 5 months later...

17/06/16 - A quick update....unfortunately the student involved in this project encountered personal problems and so could not make much progress. As a result I shall set it as a project for the next academic year starting in September and hopefully get something from the next student to attempt this project.

We did however scan the airbox and this should hopefully be shown in the attached image.

Unfortunately I don't really have the time to do the full airbox work myself but instead thought I'd run through the process quickly and attempt to create a cover to replace the missing toolbox lid. Point data was extracted and I created a 3D part (shown in attached render). I then printed it out and now have photos of it on the bench and then clipped onto the toolbox end (made it an interference fit but may have to look at maybe inserting a screw to hold in position). I only used white material as it was on the machine - it can easily be painted or we can print in black - and have not put any form of logo on - but the process all looks valid for a full airbox in future. 

post-4534-0-27833700-1466163089_thumb.jpg

post-4534-0-12332600-1466163096_thumb.jpg

post-4534-0-36786000-1466163102_thumb.jpg

post-4534-0-71274100-1466163118_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

Quick update 25/04/17 - had another go and we seem to have made more progress. We have a CAD model and have been able to produce a 3D printed part from it. Need to check for fit etc. but looks promising....I think it still needs a little refinement (inserts in mounts etc.) but I think if i can get a little time over the summer I may be able to work on this and produce one to try. Note that rather than produce the toolbox we simply extended a feature across to enable some kind of fixing on the other side of the frame to help reduce build time/cost.

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Capture4.JPG

Edited by twistandnogo
  • Like 1