4 Speed In The P65

trialsrfun

Nothing wrong with the term Pre65 as it can (or could...) be looked upon to mean any bike prior to 1965 which excludes trials specific Spanish bikes, specifically the Bultaco. All other Pre65 or Pre70 series are designated British Bike trials, so no issue with Spanish bikes being entered.

All the bull**** about copy or replica parts and the 'enforcement' of rules on some, overlooking them for others is where the real issues started, not the term Pre65. But that's old hat now.

The two pictures above are a bit misleading as they are both banana forks it seems (just been looking in my Greeves book I forgot I had) and are 1966 forks. The eligible Pre65 type have a different appearance with no visible dampers and the down tube is straight not bent, so I can see why they aren't allowed purely in terms of manufacture. But being pragmatic, why woould it be an issue to allow them?

If it is all supposed to be about period appearance, which presumably is for the enthusiasts spectating (otherwise why bother about appearance) surely, someone who is enthusiastic about that era is going to appreciate seeing a bike ridden with those banana forks, even if they are 1966, rather than the *******ised, extended, welded and modernised offerings on most bikes..?

The earlier rubber sprung Greeves forks have the brake plate torque arm fastened to the lower link so that when the brake is applied the suspension stops working and the forks rise to their full extent, later forks and both types of banana fork have a fully floating brake plate so the suspension continues to work under braking.
Most later model Greeves were factory fitted with Ceriani forks as was the one ridden by Bill Wilkinson to win the SSDT.

Edited by trialsrfun

• 2 weeks later...