Recommend Me A Chain

oldjohnno

What's a good chain for my M199 that I won't have to adjust constantly? I ride pretty regularly, every weekend if I can and find that I'm always having to adjust the chain. Any particular brand and model stand out from the rest? The DID I'm using at the moment is reasonable but I'm still having to nip it up frequently. And yes, I do keep it clean and lubed...

I don't know what kind of DID you use I use the DID ERT 2 which is a reinforced chain for MX. The chains I mounted so far had lengthed a bit after first installed but then never more, (I think the chain lengthened in the beginning because of the heavy grease DID uses).

But that type is nearly twice as expensive to a standard chain.

• Like 1

I've got the standard heavy black DID 520 NZ chain on my Bultaco.

My 350 is powerfull enough ;)  

And I lube the chain frequent and can't remember when I had to adjust it.

I almost don't degrease my chain, this ensures that lube in the links, doesn't get washed away totaly, because it takes at least two greasings to build that lube film back on. 

I had the 520ERS2 on my 4RT and it was also one of the best chains I had (haven't tried a Renthal yet though)

But they are expensive.

EDIT:My apologies, the DID 520 NZ chain isn't just a standard chain as I thought:  http://www.didchain.com/standardChains.html

Edited by guys

That's why I choose the ERT 2 as it's reinforced and pre stretched.

To the oil question I too don't use standard chain oil/grease anymore. Just Teflon based chain spray with bread effect as they have too added something that makes the surface too to kind of dirt and water repellent, no idea what it is...

To the weight between the standard to the reinforced chain there is no big difference may be the standard chain is 100 gramm lighter the material is the point. For a Bultaco no big deal.

Do they pre stretch chains like cables? I doubt it.

As far as I know, chains only lengthen because of the wear between the pins and bushes.

They use steel with higher tensile strength to withstand higher loads and surface treatment, like shot peening, to reduce wear.

Edited by guys

Nearly every chain manufacturer pre strech or better expressed pre load their chains especially if the chain is made out of high tensile steel to get firstly rid off tolerances between the rollers and links as this will prevent early fail or shorten the time of use to chain sprockets ...

For chains made out of mild steel not always necessary it depends to the quality of the steel.

See here for reference: http://www.reliableplant.com/Read/8966/wear-life-roller-chains

Edited by pschrauber
  • Like 1

Nearly every chain manufacturer pre strech or better expressed pre load their chains especially if the chain is made out of high tensile steel to get firstly rid off tolerances between the rollers and links as this will prevent early fail or shorten the time of use to chain sprockets ...

For chains made out of mild steel not always necessary it depends to the quality of the steel.

See here for reference: http://www.reliableplant.com/Read/8966/wear-life-roller-chains

I stand corrected. ( must have been sleeping when that came up at the training course from work. )   -_-

Thanks to the internet and PSchrauber among others, I get smarter every day.

Thanks.
Edited by guys

Back in the early 60's I used to meet up with my mates,Gwyn Chambers,Gordon Samuel and Dave Thomas and on many Saturdays we would ride from Brecon to the top of Penyfan which as many of you know is just a little lower than Snowdon.It would take us about 30 minutes for the journey and on one of the days,we stopped to talk to a group walking to the summit.One asked me how long the chains lasted on our bikes.Although we regularly cleaned them and boiled them in "LINKLIFE"they rarely lasted more than a month.One of the party started writing his name and address and told me to send him a postal order for a few pounds and he would send me a couple of chains that would last a lot longer.Appaently he worked for a company making chains near Newport in South Wales.Now those chains certainly were good-but what were they? We found many sections on the way to the summit and Brecon Motor Club ran several trials there prior to the area being made a National Park.

Thanks for the suggestions, it sounds like I just need to spend a little more money on a heavier chain than the standard DID MX chain I'm using now. I ride a lot, and always in very steep country so all things considered the chain and sprocket life probably isn't too bad. I'll try one of the better quality chains suggested.

• Like 1

I think the Iris chain fitted to the Gas Gas is really good value, I ride my bike at least once a week and only rarely have to adjust it. Give Paul Arnott at The Hell Team a call, top guy and really easy to deal with.

You mean the German Iwis chain? I use that as primary chain in my Metralla, very high quality. I'll look into it, thanks.

• Like 1