Rear Brake Lever

ftp

A question about foot placement for a relative newbie ..........as you move on to splatter and need holding pressure and such in the learning process - I am finding that its key  to have the rear brake covered -but am finding that its difficult to cover the rear brake during a splatter for instance without applying it somewhere during the technique as the leg/foot/footrest angles change rapidly - do the better riders move their toes to the side and ready or have it over the lever during splatters and such and go through the pain of sometimes catching it as they learn  ??

Tnx

When I was taught to do the splatter I was told its more the clutch than the brake.  

From what I have seen it is often the case that people cover the rear brake but shouldn't.  For example... I have seen riders, even the upper class riders in my club, doing a hill and pressing the rear brake by mistake because they didn't move the toe to the side.  

Disclaimer: I have only just recently learned to splatter and am not doing large ones so I hope a higher class advanced/expert class rider can clarify if I am wrong.  

Thanks - its not really just about the splatter specifically I was just using it as an example as it had raised a question about foot placement, just a question about where the top riders have their foot in general - ie over or alongside the pedal ?

i use the rear brake less than most so most of the time my foot is off to the side. i keep one finger on the front brake and clutch at all times and my foot seems fast enough to cover the rear when needed. i do tend to ride more on my toes than on my arch of the foot.

rob

Hi I think we just "over cover" the rear brake,as sometimes it is not possible to keep the foot over it when leaning extremely forward as for launching up a big step or climbing a real steep hill.. Ask this guy if he always covers it..

post-21345-0-40662900-1452549058_thumb.jpg

Hi I think we just "over cover" the rear brake,as sometimes it is not possible to keep the foot over it when leaning extremely forward as for launching up a big step or climbing a real steep hill.. Ask this guy if he always covers it..

Thanks - when you say "over cover" it what do you mean ?

Yeah that's what I mean, it is really hard to flip, especially when hitting an obstacle the forward momentum will bring the front down in no time. Try doing some obstacles comfortable to you and try to not cover the rear brake, you'll be surprised that you don't need it and sometimes the foot touching it makes hard to do the technique right. That's what I felt

• 6 years later...