2012 Sherco St 250 Crank Seal

stpauls

Hi 

Now sorted.  I replaced the crank seal and the heavy smoking has now stopped.

Apart from the usual tools that I have, including a torque wrench and gear puller, I bought a clutch basket holding tool for a Sherco from Ebay for £20.  I had to ask a friendly local garage to use their air wrench (windy gun) to undo the crank shaft gear nut, as it was really tight.  

Took me about 3 hours. 

Thanks to all for their advice and help.

Heres the way you find how to do things,In the search box of google/bing etc[search engine]put in HOW TO REMOVE THE CRANKSHAFT NUT ON A 2 STROKE MOTORCYCLE[OR WHATEVER IT IS THAT YOU NEED TO KNOW] then click search.

I just did that and within 3 seconds two you tube videos showing how to do it were at the head of the page produced.......its that simple....Anything you want to know ie How do i grow Geraniums etc etc...... Job done.

Hi

I searched the web and found some suggestions on how to remove a crankshaft nut.  

I followed that advice and jammed a copper penny between the crank gear and the clutch gear.  I was unable to undo it with my own pneumatic wrench (windy gun) or with a socket, with a long bar for extra leverage.  

So I took the stripped-down bike to a local garage.  They used their pneumatic (impact?) wrench and after 6 blasts the nut spun off!  It only took them a couple of minutes.

They would not accept any payment.  The funny thing was that the owner does Time Trials!  

Small world.

Thanks to everyone again for their help.

Hi

I searched the web and found some suggestions on how to remove a crankshaft nut.  

I followed that advice and jammed a copper penny between the crank gear and the clutch gear.  I was unable to undo it with my own pneumatic wrench (windy gun) or with a socket, with a long bar for extra leverage.  

So I took the stripped-down bike to a local garage.  They used their pneumatic (impact?) wrench and after 6 blasts the nut spun off!  It only took them a couple of minutes.

They would not accept any payment.  The funny thing was that the owner does Time Trials!  

Small world.

Thanks to everyone again for their help.

Careful with that penny trick as you may still damage a gear by tweaking it and the thing will create a knock sound when running.

A proper impact windy gun will quickly remove and reinstall the big nut, but you must scribe the torque location in advance and put it back the same or ever so slightly beyond. This is really sensitive on a big impact and requires caution. Do not do this at home, as the saying goes.

Hope you got it all going!