New Bultaco: Poor Starter And Stopped Today... Help !

mrooney

If the bike has not been ridden for a while you need to go through the ignition. Its advisable to purchase a flywheel puller, a new set of points and a new condenser all available from 'In Motion'. The points ignition is perfectly OK to use and very reliable, it just needs periodic maintenance. The timing is 2.5 - 2.7 BTDC . They will still run and start if the timing is a little out, condensers fail periodically and cause all sorts of problems as they still produce a faint spark when you check but this spark breaks down when the bike is running. The system should produce a very strong spark when checking the plug, also the smallest amount of dirt/grease on the points and they wont go so its important to run a piece of clean paper through the points to ensure they are 'clean' even after setting with feelers as the feeler gauge may deposit some oil/grease when using them.

Cheers Greg

Bultacos are relatively easy to start as well, 2-3 kicks if every thing is working correctly

Edited by sherpa325
  • Like 3

Popped an new plug, got it started but power symptoms persist and it certainly needs that plug there more to the problem that this.

Larry is kindly running me through an idiots guide via email to fault finding, afraid I'm the idiot ! I get a timing a tool, feelers gauge and flywheel pulley and persist a bit longer before I kick it and take to the shop... I might just learn something. Will update you on the faults in a few days. Thank you all for you support.

Mark

• Like 3

Hi mrooney,

Mark, one little pointer, every set of points on every machine I have owned, were virtually addicted to oil and grease and a trace amount - too small for you to see, even - can cause problems.  So when you have carefully set the points, checked with your feeler gauge, etc., then your final touch should be to pull a clean piece of paper through the closed points - just to be sure.

Hopefully you will find like most, that you can become addicted to getting your mechanical knowledge to work for you.........

• Like 2

Success ! .... Finally.

Larry has been running me through a problem solving process. A challeng for Larry with my knowledge. My recent red 350 Sherpa had arrived part through and proved a good reference.

The thing that threw me was the new looking mikuni carb. Having no history on the bike made it difficult. Having run threw cleaning the carb, condensed etc. We focused on the carb. It wouldn't run on the other bull. Couldn't ID the jets and the slide was strangely scratched and scored so in a desperate move I ordered a new Mukuni from Bultaco uk. 5 mins to fit and we're off power all through the Rev range. Starts first or second kick from cold

• Like 3