Yes Or No ?

craigrushton

I just bought a 2012 Explorer, but it isn't my only bike.

I like "adventure trials" more than competing, so hope it fits my needs.

I ordered the quick start system, so hopefully it starts easier.  Other parts were available as well.

It was missing a black plastic side piece, that I would like to buy, but no idea where to look (lewisport has looked).

I might be out of luck on finding one though.

Trying to get it registered this week and head out on the weekend!

-john

The EFI system is the same as the Bombardier skidoos who can be used in very  harsh conditions like cold weather (-50° C) so its is no question about the quality  of the system. The problem with OSSA is that they did not sell the wiring and softaware to tune yourself your bike. They should have made sell it with the bike in big countries like Canada, Usa, Australia etc. where you are very far away from a dealer with knowledge or interest (not like jppowersport here in Quebec). 

Apart from the ECU I am almost sure you can find the others parts from  a Bombardier dealer.

Anyway the thinking behind this great motorcycle will not be lost. Things like the radiator protected from the mud, the high airbox who stay clean, the lightweight of  bike and impressive engine are amazing in day to day use. Maybe they are not as good as perfectly tuned bike by mechanics for the conditions of the day of the race  but I am curious to see what they could have done with it if they had a rider like Bou or Raga. A company need a lot of money to pay for that class of rider and OSSA do not have it.

It is a great bike if you can start it and I am sure it will return on the market. Of what I have read from poeple who tried the new Vertigo who have a OSSA they still prefer their OSSA.

Yes, would be very sad moment if such a great trials bike concept will go away from the market. No-one else has had balls to go that radically fresh minded approach and out-of-the-box in trials bike design recently, all others just slowly push on the classic design. Some say OSSA did try to get Bou, but weren't able to afford such a high-calibre rider as a very small manufacturer themselves. No doubt they'd dominated the scene if they'd have a true top rider riding their very capable bike with full factory tech backing.

Actually the cables are very resonably priced if you get the non-OSSA cables. I got the cables from the guys who designed the OSSA EFI system (Kokusan Denki manufactured it), it was very cheap from them (120 EUR or so if I remember). Works superb and very easy to use, I just loaded the new EVO6 map for the Termignoni exhaust setup I installed, will try it when the snow melts away LOL. I've inspected it a lot and I would dare to say the OSSA EFI system is superbly well designed and made (in Japan) IMHO.

Haven't seen the cables for sale anywhere on the interweb lately.Anyone know of a place to buy them?Could really use them.

Yes, they seem to be harder to get now. I got mine recently, but maybe it was a lucky shot - my dealer said it's even better than the original cable, but harder to get. OSSAs original cable cost rediculous 900+ EUR so it's pointless unless you run some (impossible) high-profit dealership.

Third-party manufacturer Btwice did some medium-range cables, maybe some luck from there?

Try Trials and Tribulations in England.

That is where I got mine.

Works great

I feel the same way,it's Always good to have the gear and right stuff so you can fix it by your self.

Has anyone contacted Btwice to see what they have to say?

/Christian

I'm happy with the cables made by the OSSA EFI designers themselves (has also the 6-pin connector for the newest OSSA models):

_SDI1784_s.jpg

Also got a big library of different maps from my dealer on original OSSA branded USB stick :)

You can do lots of things with this kit, from EFI map loading to TPS reset to diagnostics of different parts to a very handy work-hours count (one count is overall since the bike is new, the other two counters you can reset yourself so you can keep a service record for different parts). Idle speed, intentional mixture leaning or riching etc etc. Loads of detailed reports and adjustments you can't even imagine possible doing on a carburated bike.

OSSA's really pushed the 2T evolution frontiers with this ingenious design.

_SDI1797_s.jpg