Newbie - Got A Spark But Won't Start

sr1murray

It looks like a `96 to me.  Get a new plug. Is the plug wet or dry. If it`s wet it could be flooded. If it`s dry, I would pour a few ounces of mixed fuel down the plug hole and try to start.   Gassers very rarely sheared the key, but if all else fails pull the nag off.

Was the bike bought as a non runner? Try all the above first but if still no joy do a compression test with a compression tester, I had same problem, it felt like loads of compression on kicking over but tested with meter and not enough, stripped and piston rings stuck on one side as partially siezed. Cleaned up ring grooves on piston and 4 years later still going strong, good luck.

Always start with a new plug. Try again.

If the plug comes out very wet, undo the plug, make sure the plug wire is not near the cilinder, and put it in gear and walk. (with the tank off and carb let of).

Those bikes will always start, we got a lot of those, and only problems somethimes are the plugs! Great bikes and all parts still available.

Edited by crazybond700

Thanks again folks. Your responses are greatly appreciated. I've not got a great deal of time today to devote to the bike, but should be able to give it a good few hours tomorrow (Thursday) so I'll let you know how I get on!

I've gone out and got some new fuel (super unleaded) and new oil. I'll pick up a new plug and go from there.

Once again, I can't thank you all enough.

I think GasGas UK had a problem with 'grey' imports back in the 90's and had a batch of bikes produced in Grey to try to isolate the problem, you used to get asked about your bike before spares were sold to you ( anyone else remember when that was ?)

Either that or someone has just fitted a set of plastics from a 320 , I had one in silver I think it was a 98 ?