Btwice Flywheel Weight Qs

tsiklonaut

I wouldn't do it without the puller. Some sensitive electronics behind the flywheel that you don't want to drill into when you dirll the flywheel. Also, if you take it off you can do it in a drill press so the holes are nice and straight when you tap them

I have Gas Gas TXT 280 Racing model and I added the Jitsie Flywheel weight, after I got a "5" for the motor stalling in a section without it. You really should get the flywheel remover tool to pop off the flywheel, since the retaining cap nuts are located inside and countersunk screws are attached from the outside to hold weight in place. I carefully took a file and removed some material on my shift lever to help make better clearance from stator cover. Sounds like GG shift lever is a bolt-on replacement for your Ossa lever. I also dropped down to smaller front sprocket with 10/42 gearing from 11/42 shortly after I installed FWW and the bike runs very well at slow speeds through tight sections, hardly even need to use clutch. Not only does FWW help prevent motor from stalling, it also helps shoot up hills with increased flywheel mass.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers for the very constructive info guys! 

Decided to install the flywheel weight, had to get the puller (the cheaper 27mm Jitsie puller works just fab for OSSA!).

Very nicely engineered flywheel (Made in Japan - Kokusan Denki), with hole outside the rim so you can lock it up with any DIY stuff, I used just the cover bolt and a hex key as seen on the pic:

_SDI1770_s.jpg

_SDI1771_s.jpg

_SDI1772_s.jpg

Weighted the flywheel, approx 2.5kg, thus the Btwice weight takes it to exacly 3kg overall, meaning it's just 20% of weight increase. Also the Btwice weight is a flat disc meaning the distribution is "milder" (vs Kokusan Denki flywheel where most of the weight is distributed to outer rim) Hence nothing radical in terms of rotational intertia "gain", I'm guessing around just between 10-13% of intertia increase when taking the flywheel weight distribution into account.

Drilled two holes into flywheel and used "locking" nuts to fix it up:

_SDI1776_s.jpg

Fit nicely back on, locktited the bolts additionally and rotated to double check they don't touch the coils below the flywheel:

_SDI1777_s.jpg

Here's OSSA stock leveler vs Apico (GasGas Pro spec) leveler:

_SDI1778_s.jpg

_SDI1780_s.jpg

Weather is milder today, so hopefully will do a practice run today and see how it feels.

Cut the first knurled section off the gas gas gear lever to make it a little smaller like the ossa tip, that way it won't stick out as much

Great idea, will do so. Wider bashplate is on the way too.

Since it is so thick lever I am thinking of grinding a little sideways off too, to bring it a couple of mms closer also.