Help Broken Tab On Exhaust Mid Pipe W/pics (2010 Txt 250)

mbeers6

Hoping someone here can provide some assistance or suggestions on how to go about a repair. The exhaust tab that mounts to the rear shock bolt for the "center box" of the muffler broke on my 2010 TXT 250 Pro.  I'm sure this was from a fall on the right side during my last ride.

I will most likely end up taking it to an experienced aluminum welder, but I want to try to prepare for the job myself as much as possible to keep the cost down. Meaning if I can cut, file and prepare the pieces so they just need to lay a weld it should save and#36;and#36;.

The problem is that I don't see how the tab that broke is supposed to line up with the tab that is still good. Meaning the shock bolt must pass through both tabs and the outside tab (the one which broke) is too low.  It just doesn't line up.  Tried searching here without much luck nor could I find close up pics of how both tabs should look when properly aligned.

1) Does anyone have pics of how the tabs are supposed to be oriented? Should they be touching each other or is there a gap?

2) Any thoughts on how I should go about this repair? I see that the existing bracket is starting to crack so I figured I would have the shop reinforce that weld in addition to welding the broken tab  back on. 

All the other mounts, by the rear master cylinder and one up by the carb, are fine. 

Cheers

Mark

IMG_5865_zpsqazraore.jpg

IMG_5864_zpswbuzqi79.jpg

IMG_5860_zps9iliwdag.jpg

Just pull the cracked piece on the pipe up a little to line them back up. Put another bolt in to weld it up. By the way are you missing the spacer between that broken tab and the frame?

Thanks lineaway, no I have the spacer along with some washers I used to space the muffler out so it won't rub on the rear tire.

Thanks everyone, got it repaired today from a great shop which owners also happen to ride bikes.  Here are a few pics in case someone else runs into the same issue.

I am thinking about using a rubber spacer instead of the washers to maybe avoid some of the vibrations and future stress on the brackets.

IMG_5898_zpse2ttz2tn.jpg

IMG_5899_zpsnyvc8zsf.jpg

IMG_5900_zpshkswfqvd.jpg

• Like 1

If you drop the bike on the exhaust side or run it with the mounting bolts loose you can crack the bracket. I think if you have used washers to change the alignment to stop the exhaust hitting the tyre then the exhaust was already bent. You have to remember that the length of the silencer provides leverage against those brackets. Now its fixed use the proper spacer and it should be fine