Talmag 2016

laird387

thats a long trek for you derek.

Hi Nigel,

I didn't say I would be there - much as I would like to be, there are sure to be a lot of old friends, some that I haven't seen for years - what I said was 'ORRe will be there' - because our digital magazine may be put together by me personally but the material that will be included will be collected by a group of respected colleagues, including more than one camera - just like we did in the printed Review days, me riding the trial and personally judging the sections, Mary, Gordon Francis and Nick Nichols busy with their cameras.  Sadly they are all dead now - but a new generation has taken their place.

One last request - please spell my name correctly.

Enjoy,

Deryk

• Like 3

Any news on the winner, I heard that Ben Butterworth went round clean?

Hi Ken,

I hope to hear from Ben shortly - and also with a little luck the next ORRe will be a TALMAG SPECIAL with a very full photographic report.

Pity about the rain - and the inevitable Talmag delays at sections - but usually that just gives more opportunities for old mates who only see each other at Hungry Hill to have a good natter............

Whenever I was asked about the Talmag in days gone by I always replied: "It isn't a trial - it's a social occasion."

For me, for example, it was usually a chance to have a good natter and update from Bert Thorn, the Comerford's sales director, whose garden rockery featured the large stone that Gordon Jackson planted his right foot on to lose his single mark in the '61 Scottish.

Cheers

Deryk

For me, for example, it was usually a chance to have a good natter and update from Bert Thorn, the Comerford's sales director, whose garden rockery featured the large stone that Gordon Jackson planted his right foot on to lose his single mark in the '61 Scottish.

I love that Deryk. What a great momento . Thats the sort of thing i like collecting . When i was a kid i lived near to the Yorkshire Ripper who was on Garden lane in Bradford. Once we knew where he lived i was down the front of his house collecting a stone from his front garden whilst Sonya his wife was twitching the curtains :). Different ...but the same :)

Hi Deryk, Wallo,

Any news on the winner, I heard that Ben Butterworth went round clean? 

Interesting yes, but he wasn't the only one, and I know you can guess who else was on a clean because (unless the scorers mess up) he is usually on a clean!  It'll go down to the special test as usual, and knowing the times, I think I know who won, but we shall see!!!....

more opportunities for old mates who only see each other at Hungry Hill to have a good natter............

It was a brilliant day out.  A lot of nattering going on at section 14... lap two!!!! 

Deryk, not sure if you know of, but second lap, after Hungry Hill, stopped and a chap called Giles Walley (I think) said he knew well the bike that I was riding (1960 16C) (which actually many people seem to!).  It was originally owned by a works rider, Mick Waller(if that's the correct spelling), who rode it, said Giles, lots and lots during the 60's with himself (Giles) as I understood it, but you may well know about that and if you do probably much more besides (i think Mick might have been based in Kent or near there)!

And that to me is the spirit and something that is valuable to be protected in the sport.  These bikes, as mine (almost unchanged since it was ridden then), that people recognise over decades.. and spectators want to see them come back year after year, handed down from generation to generations, just as they are.  They are a handful, but are there to be enjoyed just as much as a modified bike and if the sport is losing them, which it is, then we need to sort that out, and we will.

I also spoke to some of the sidecar guys, and they did say that they thought that the sidecar part, and the solo part, entry was going down and were not opposed at all to the view that too much cheating was making things very difficult.  Speaking to a couple of chaps riding highly modified bikes, they knew, riding a 140kg vs a 90kg bike is no joke.... as we all know!  If the guy on the 140kg bike beats the guy on the 90kg bike... then you have been thrashed!!

Anyway, I had a great day.  The bike survived.  Lots and lots of people watching even though it was a bit dreary.

Looking forward to next year!

All the best, TTSpud

Edited by ttspud

Hi ttspud,

Yes I used to see Giles regularly - if you pm me your reg no I may well have pictures of your bike when Mick was riding it - Mick was not, too my knowledge, a works rider, but was more likely supported by a dealer.

Cheers

Deryk

I don't know Ben Butterworth, nor had ever heard of him before Sunday, but had a brief chat with him at section 9, I think, because I was surprised to see a Villiers carb on his Ariel. A very friendly, approachable chap! As a casual attendee of the Talmag, I'm not up-to-date with all the latest modifications but I'd have to say his performance was very impressive, although so was number 30 on a rigid Matchless and many others.

Anyway, a great day out for my son and myself, despite the inclement weather. The cows were a bit of a surprise, though!

I love that Deryk. What a great momento . Thats the sort of thing i like collecting . When i was a kid i lived near to the Yorkshire Ripper who was on Garden lane in Bradford. Once we knew where he lived i was down the front of his house collecting a stone from his front garden whilst Sonya his wife was twitching the curtains :). Different ...but the same :)

Touching a crime scene is a very serious offence James you could get in alot of trouble with the police about that.

• Like 1