Youngsters In Classic Trials

laird387

I know we have seen some young entrants on the classic trials scene, like Steve Allen from Dursley (thanks, Jon!) who I remember as a gawky youngster, probably about fifteen, riding with us at Golden Valley, on an old Fanny-B - and he is still riding, will be at the Talmag on Sunday - moreover I don't think he has ever owned a 'modern' trials bike,

Then checking through old negatives I came across this shot taken by Mary at one of the first Scarborough Two-day trials (I think).  It shows Harry Stanistreet's lad riding one of his  rigid James Commando's, just like the very first bike that Arthur Lampkin rode as a teenager.  The young lad is Martyn (my thanks to basil) - and I shall shortly post a more up to date image  of him, photographed by Jack Knoops for ORRe during the 2015 Pre-65 Scottish - remember we published a photograph of every competitor in that event in ORRe.

But whatever, enjoy.

post-19290-0-20141900-1453983791_thumb.jpg

post-19290-0-42022700-1453995858_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387
  • Like 1

I may be wrong but I seem to remember him on a foreigner a whitehawk ty 80 

but that would be 30 years ago so we can forgive him for that

Have you all seen the Old Bike Mart article with his dad  on his MZ , very interesting

Hi Deryk

My son who's 13 rides twinshock and classic on a TY175 and Bantam. After starting on a TY80, then moving to a Whitehawk 80 he had a year on a Beta 80 but didnt enjoy it, so moved back to the classics. He loves it, gets complements and gets some good results (you may remember him from this years Scarborough 2 day, he won a first class award). Im sure he will continue on the classic and twinshock scene, which does need the youngsters to keep it going. A few photos, one on his Whitehawk 80, one at this years Nostalgia trial  and a recent one on his TY175

cheers

John

post-79-0-93296000-1454003127_thumb.png

post-79-0-83737100-1454003151_thumb.png

post-79-0-95406100-1454003190_thumb.png

• Like 2

I know we have seen some young entrants on the classic trials scene, like Steve Allen from Dudley who I remember as a gawky youngster, probably about fifteen, riding with us at Golden Valley - and he is still riding, will be at the Talmag on Sunday - moreover I don't think he has ever owned a 'modern' trials bike,

Then checking through old negatives I came across this shot taken by Mary at one of the first Scarborough Two-day trials (I think).  It shows Harry Stanistreet's lad riding one of his  rigid James Commando's, just like the very first bike that Arthur Lampkin rode as a teenager.  The young lad is Martyn (my thanks to basil) - and I shall shortly post a more up to date image  of him, photographed by Jack Knoops for ORRe during the 2015 Pre-65 Scottish - remember we published a photograph of every competitor in that event in ORRe.

But whatever, enjoy.

Good evening Deryk, sorry to correct you but Steve would be lost if you took him to Dudley,he's a Dursley lad,and as you say will be trying to get a clean ride and FTD on the same day for the first time at the Talmag on Sunday - maybe to get in the top end of the results...

He also has a "modern" bike,well sort of... Its a Chapman BSA,with a very low frame number.I don't think he has ever ridden it - certainly not at a trial anyway.

Me, I won't be at the Talmag, I prefer events like the Golden Valley March Hare,road based and fresh sections every year.

• Like 3

My son still rides the BSA Bantam he started on. Got him started at 13 with the excellent Somerton Classic Club beginners series. Now 16 he still rides the same bike on A route in Somerton and Bath Classic trials. 

A Bantam or C15 do not need to cost the earth. A great way to learn and have great fun.

• Like 1

The problem is twinshocks and classics are stupid money, The average father who wants to get his kid into trials can only afford an old Beta 80.

There are some big wheeled whitehawk 80s about which are a great alternative.

i would say that my sons TY175 and bantam stand at about £3k - not cheap but compared to a modern bike good value, and after a year chances are will have appreciated in value rather than lose 30-40%

Cheers

John

• Like 2

My boy would love a Whitehawk 80, I had the 175 when I was about 12. I do look for them from time to time as my boy is at a level to ride one now. 

It would of been too heavy for him when he started. I've seen a few for about 600 but they would need more than that again spent to make them right.

Problem is he likes his New Evo 80 so it will be a second bike, He has just over 2 years till he can ride over 80cc, then can go 125 mono or up to 250 twinshock.

There's a lad with a TY80 at our club and after the trial They always end up on each others bikes.

Age has certainly mellowed you Laird, back in the early to mid ninties, younger riders albeit on big bikes got mild to caustic stick in your off road review almost on a monthly basis.  I am all for younger riders who compete on a regular basis, what I don t agree so much... with is younger good riders borrowing a bike for a well know trial or two, showing off and then disappearing again.

• Like 4

Age has certainly mellowed you Laird, back in the early to mid ninties, younger riders albeit on big bikes got mild to caustic stick in your off road review almost on a monthly basis.  I am all for younger riders who compete on a regular basis, what I don t agree so much... with is younger good riders borrowing a bike for a well know trial or two, showing off and then disappearing again.

Hi Hamish,

In the old Review the younger riders only got stick from me in the nineties when they 'spoiled' the classic aspect by wearing multicoloured 'pyjamas', even when they were on nice Ariels, like yours..........and, where there is a choice of images available to me now, I will always pick the one with the more classic aspect.

So there's another clue to the youngsters - if you like seeing your photograph in a digital magazine, watch your fashion styles........

I totally agree with your 'borrowed bike' thoughts.

Enjoy,

Deryk

Edited by laird387

Laird

i think Hamish will remember a certain young rider probably about 14 years old competing on a B40 in the eastern centre ,he went on to record one or  two good rides !! on a rigid Ariel in the british bike series a certain Richard Percival

Someone's got a good memory that b40 must have been twenty five years ago, time flies.  Sadly Gertie the rigid Ariel is in bits in his workshop, his mojo is coming back slowly , he tells me he is looking for a Honda.. time will tell.