Early Bullet Trials Bike And Sidecar-Help Needed!

colinf

Trying to identify this Royal Enfield so i can suggest a value to it's owner.I'm not selling it and won't make a penny out of it.The owner has lost his storage due to circumstances beyond his control,his friend contacted me as he knows little about older bikes and asked for advice.I've explained that dating Royal Enfields can be a bit hit and miss.He found an old buff logbook for a 1948 350 Royal Enfield which shows Frame number and Engine number as 19499 and reg as what looks like JFJ210 ,next time he goes he'll look to see if the numbers are on either the bike or the frame and engine next to it.As i understand it this would be a very early "Bullet" type.What i need to know is how can he tell if its a Trials type originally or just modified later? I notice the frame has no passenger footrest mountings so the same goes for that too.If the paperwork ties up with the bike can anyone put a ball-park figure on it ?, we don't want the owner getting ripped off by some dealer if an enthusiast somewhere could use it.

post-16352-0-87921500-1454093661_thumb.jpg

post-16352-0-58556100-1454093673_thumb.jpg

hi the outfit looks all there later type frame ,alloy motor , so has probably been set up be used ,in fact i think i remember it from a few years ago the front no also rings in my brain but i cant remember which trial used   red lines on it but i am sure it was in the sammy miller seriesnabout ten years ago if it comes up for sale i would be interested if affordable as i am about to build one for the long distance trials and the talmag , the other bits are what looks like a mod g engine ,a later bullet/crusader frame one of the barrels is a 500 rudge ,not sure about the other and the s/v motor , i hope this helps you ,as i mentioned if you are interested in it being used properly and a suitable figure can be agreed i am very interesred pm me if you wish to talkabout it and i will try and find the history for you ,, will.

• 8 months later...

I built the outfit you see here back in the mid 2000s it was road registered when I sold it, approx late 1950s I seem to remember, with a non transferable No. (this number if you still have it was was not its original registration) it was converted from a std road bike from what I knew at the time, I also had a std & genuine WR 350 solo at the time to compare to with, which was a completely different machine altogether.  

I bought the bike as a solo and rode it like that for a while before mating it up with a sidecar I had lying around at the time,  I was also competing in modern sidecars at the time as well and this particular side car was originally on a modern Scorpa outfit that belonged to Ian Allaways brother, yes I forget his name too!

I'm struggling to remember the names of the previous owners at the moment but will update if it is of any help, I bought it off a local (to me at the time) chap called Chris May from Wickham, Hants, who had got from a fairly well known P65 rider from the Andover area, Mick somebody? who had the gearbox ratios machined and modified for trials use, I could trace him if needed.

The bike also spent a some time with a dealer in that area between being owned by Mick and Chris, who shall we say, and being as polite as possible, tried his best not to provide the log book with it, anyway I had a bit of wrangle with the DVLA and other powers that be in an effort to get it, which I eventually did.

The bike (still by the look of it) has Rickman hubs etc and was 350cc, the sidecar is and old Bruce Rushton that was originally fitted on this bike with a boot to make it look more period, it was ridden in Talmag at least once during the period I owned it, and in this guise, by Geoff Muston and Colin Mew whom I lent it to for that purpose. Geoff also modified and fitted the sidecar etc. I also used in as many other trials as I could where possible between modern rounds and I particularly liked to use it in LDTs and classic type trials like the Golden Valley, March Hare etc. I sold in approx 2007? to someone whose name I forget in the Bath area.

I can't help with the other parts shown here either, all I had and sold on was the outfit itself which looks to be pretty much unchanged since its time with me.

I couldn't really give you any idea of its value as I'm afraid, however I do hope this is some interest to you.

Edited by modernistutopia

The two red lines through the front number plate are just like the two red lines on the number I took out of the front of my AJS before I washed it yesterday. Mine came from the Arbuthnot,would I be right in assuming that was the last trial that outfit did ?