B25 Brass Washers

furse

how thick is it ,, it looks like the end face of of the camshaft bush check if it is made of bronze if so either it has been left in by someone orthe bush has broken up i have had this happen on a tuned victor 441 motor,but never seen it on the 250 ,, will

• Like 3

Hi Guy's.

Hi Furze .

I did not want to jump in with both feet untilI had thought about it.

And I also think it has come from the camshaft bush,

If you go to my site and look at the "Duplicated C15F engine" page you will see that I had the same problem.

Through lack of lubrication to the camshaft, the bush sticks to it and uses the crankcase as the bearing,

This makes the camshaft hole in the crankcase bigger  and the only cure is to turn up an oversize bush for the  camshaft to run in.

It is not that difficult if you have the use, or someone who has a lathe.

Regards Charlie.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Stripped the engine now and I think you guys are right, but the bush is not loose in the crankcase, and doesn't look like it has been turning, crank hasn't been rubbing on it, but have noticed oil feed hole doesn't line up.

Hi Will, that's where I found the bits, much bigger than the brass washer in the strainer, puzzled me where it has come from. Can't think where or what is was to end up in the sump ?

Hi have you checked the big end bearing the brass washer looks to have roller marks on it.

Hi Furse, 

Don't forget the 'cockup' theory....in this case that's the possibility (feint I know) that this was never intended or meant to be in there in the first place...crankcase sat under a bench for years and this little fella just fell in..... Do you know the history of the bottom end?