Tyres

sherpa325

I was wondering what everyone was doing for rear tyres. I have been told the tube type michelin has been discontinued, is this true or not. I have a tubeless 36 spoke morad rim but am resisting using it as I would like to keep the bike looking period correct. I can get IRC tube type rears, but was concerned they might not stay on the rim, the bike is a bultaco with akront rims.

Cheers Greg

I have found the the IRC tubed tyres stay on the Akront rims okay but you have to run higher pressures in them as the sidewalls are so soft. I found the older Dunlop tubeless come away from the bead and I just use tubeless Michelins which come away at 4 PSI but they will stay put using higher pressures. I gave up caring and just use Michelins as they do have the best grip and the best feel. I run the rear at 3.5 to 4 PSI and if the tyre wants to wobble around I just let it do so. I run two rim locks which helps. Graham.

Thanks for the replies and yes I have tried a Dunlop before but it kept coming off the rim at trials pressures,apparently OK on DID rims, so I guess its an IRC - can anyone confirm the whether or not the tubed michelin has been discontinued.

Thanks Greg

Thanks for the replies and yes I have tried a Dunlop before but it kept coming off the rim at trials pressures,apparently OK on DID rims, so I guess its an IRC - can anyone confirm the whether or not the tubed michelin has been discontinued.

Thanks Greg

Tubed Mitch, not as good as tubed IRC, in my opinion.

Edited by b40rt
  • Like 3

I live in France and can get tubed Michelin's no problem front and rear, from memory the last rear  one was 112 euros..  divided by 1.32 equals...... I use them and they are great, as are the IRC and another funny make a friend gets from the Uk . Howver its mostly dry here so even if they are knackered they work.