Bike Insurance

deputy dawg

I have had no luck in trying to get insurance on my trials bikes in the past so I called Doodsons (hanks' post above).

They do provide cover but it's expensive (4 bikes totalling iro £13k would be be £800 pa) and the biggest problem for me is that they each need to be secured to a permanent ground anchor by a Thatcham 3 category chain at all times.

Well my garage is like Fort Knox and none of my road bike's required that sort of protection (or that cost of cover) to be insured in the same building with Fully Comprehensive not just F&F.

I'm not about to start digging up my foot thick concrete floor to put in ground anchors all over the place just so I can spend my life tripping over them and locking and unlocking chains.

I'm just going to rely on my security measures.

Edited by maggar

thank you for all the replies, it is a pain to comply with the insurers. especially regards the anchor chains have you seen the you tube clip of how much longer it takes to cut through the more expensive thatchams chain 

I think i might get it road registered in the near future.

I just registered my bike last year and I think I just risked it until I got a reg number, it isn't particularly valuable though. Registration using the VMCC was very easy and took only a couple of weeks once I'd got it mot'd.

I've got 3 classic bikes worth about £12k altogether and my renewal from RH insurance has just come through at £150. That's without any stipulation for any form of security. I do have lots of security but that's because I'm paranoid about it not because the insurers demand it!!

• 3 months later...

Try Bikesure, I rang a lot of the suggestions above yesterday with little joy and also learned of Carole Nash upper limit. I have just got exactly what you are looking for on my Bantam for just over a ton. You need a Sold Secure chain, padlock and anchor mind - 80 quid or so