Flywheel Cover Issue

christianmoller

It's not a problem, just a visual annoyance. There's no oil in this side so there's absolutely no need for perfect sealing.

Probably just not seated correctly. I'd take it off and see if the lip is damaged on the plastic (black) cover. Maybe need to straighten the lip with a sharper knife or a screwdriver to make it fit again.

When correctly seated the plastic cover should fit without a gap even without the bolts applying the pressure.

It's not a problem, just a visual annoyance. There's no oil in this side so there's absolutely no need for perfect sealing.

Probably just not seated correctly. I'd take it off and see if the lip is damaged on the plastic (black) cover. Maybe need to straighten the lip with a sharper knife or a screwdriver to make it fit again.

When correctly seated the plastic cover should fit without a gap even without the bolts applying the pressure.

I actually had a level mark from water on the flywheel so i think i have to do something.

As long as the water get out it's no problem.

I did take it of yesterday and as you say there was no lip all the way around.

/Christian

Hi JSP, here is a pic showing the location, and one pic showing the type of microsprinkler elbow I used. The elbow is held in with adhesive but is a tight push fit to start with to keep any moisture out. The hose routes up under the tank cover around the rad filler and then back down slightly so it is always pointing down.

post-13066-0-32372000-1454960183_thumb.jpg

post-13066-0-16990300-1454960334_thumb.jpg

Edited by canada280i

I have a very small cutout from the lip below the cover (looks like straight from the factory, on my 2013 model cover). Just around a millimeter or less, when cover closed leaving a very tiny hole - just to let out the little oil residue from the bottotm or to equalize the pressure differences with heat expansion or cold contraction. Also when doing very deep fording (engine half-submerged) the water can't get in since the tiny hole on the bottom and the equalized air pressure keeps the water out.

Thus I see no point for additional weight with a top-mounted breather with a house - too much additional weight, bits & added complications, IMHO at least. Just make a narrow cut with a thin saw or a knife below on lip of the cover and you're done.

Ian,

When installing the flywheel weight I discovered mine leaked a little motor oil into magneto box. After removing the flywheel turns out one of the holes fixing the magneto-side and thus sealing the motor oil is differently placed (it's "out of sync" against crankcase bolt holes), I simply can't fix one of the bolts (maybe my 280 has some fancy magnesium crank case that was engineered a little different?), thus it little leaked from this one place. I just plugged it with a smaller bolt and lots of locktite glue, now it holds the magneto case dry.

My verdict on the flywheel weight: I really-really started to like it. The difference is subtle at first, but the more I practice the better I manage and think it's made a better handling bike and a better rider out of me. Traction is better and more managable almost in every situation. To sound very stupid I'd say before it was like "Raga" stylistic handling bike - rough, fast and sharp but get everything done when your very skillful, with flywheel weight it's more like "Bou" style - smooth & perfectionist, it forgives more misjudgings and mistakes and is more predictable. Hard to describe really,you must try it if you like it or not. Although the diffrence isn't as big as I may make it sound beware it still needs some few riding days of trial-error testing to fully adapt to changes, your throttle and clutch usage habits will become slightly different.  I'm still learning and let's see how I progress, but as said I feel in my case it has improved many aspects of my riding, 

Ok, additional weight does not even factor in here, the dust on my bike at the moment weighs more than the tiny plastic elbow and hose! If so worried about weight why add the flywheel?

Ian, to your point, I have never had anyone say I over engineered anything before, I feel so proud! The problem with a hole in the bottom, or an unsealed case is that if you drop it in water and the engine cools quickly you will draw water in due to the thermal contraction. Taking the case off and wd40 is a good idea, but I was looking for a solution I could just forget about. I have not had my mag cover off for 2 years.

Flywheel weight, I like it, gives the motor a little extra run on without sacrificing power, which the factory r has tons of.

• Like 2