Flywheel Cover Issue

christianmoller

Ian,

When installing the flywheel weight I discovered mine leaked a little motor oil into magneto box. After removing the flywheel turns out one of the holes fixing the magneto-side and thus sealing the motor oil is differently placed (it's "out of sync" against crankcase bolt holes), I simply can't fix one of the bolts (maybe my 280 has some fancy magnesium crank case that was engineered a little different?), thus it little leaked from this one place. I just plugged it with a smaller bolt and lots of locktite glue, now it holds the magneto case dry.

My verdict on the flywheel weight: I really-really started to like it. The difference is subtle at first, but the more I practice the better I manage and think it's made a better handling bike and a better rider out of me. Traction is better and more managable almost in every situation. To sound very stupid I'd say before it was like "Raga" stylistic handling bike - rough, fast and sharp but get everything done when your very skillful, with flywheel weight it's more like "Bou" style - smooth and perfectionist, it forgives more misjudgings and mistakes and is more predictable. Hard to describe really,you must try it if you like it or not. Although the diffrence isn't as big as I may make it sound beware it still needs some few riding days of trial-error testing to fully adapt to changes, your throttle and clutch usage habits will become slightly different.  I'm still learning and let's see how I progress, but as said I feel in my case it has improved many aspects of my riding, 

I actually had some oil/water mix inside,will look up this closer/thank's

Ok, additional weight does not even factor in here, the dust on my bike at the moment weighs more than the tiny plastic elbow and hose! If so worried about weight why add the flywheel?

Ian, to your point, I have never had anyone say I over engineered anything before, I feel so proud! The problem with a hole in the bottom, or an unsealed case is that if you drop it in water and the engine cools quickly you will draw water in due to the thermal contraction. Taking the case off and wd40 is a good idea, but I was looking for a solution I could just forget about. I have not had my mag cover off for 2 years.

Flywheel weight, I like it, gives the motor a little extra run on without sacrificing power, which the factory r has tons of.

The problem with cooling down and suck in water is true.

I had been one of this offroad(4X4) guys for the last 30 yrs.

When i had the standard Dana/Spicer breather(no hose)i got water in the axles,hot axle in Deep cool water(where i always got stuck....),cools down and voila,oil changes when i got home.

Treaded fitting and hoses on axles,gearboxes solved the problem.

BTW.i forgott,what thread and pitch on the flywheel puller?

/Christian

Edited by christianmoller

I actually had some oil/water mix inside,will look up this closer/thank's

The problem with cooling down and suck in water is true.

I had been one of this offroad(4X4) guys for the last 30 yrs.

When i had the standard Dana/Spicer breather(no hose)i got water in the axles,hot axle in Deep cool water(where i always got stuck....),cools down and voila,oil changes when i got home.

Treaded fitting and hoses on axles,gearboxes solved the problem.

BTW.i forgott,what thread and pitch on the flywheel puller?

/Christian

Yeah, but unlike 4x4s there's nothing that needs to run in oil. :)

When a little water gets inside it'll come out via that small aperture on the bottom and as said before spraying things with some sprayable oil will prevent corrosion. There's very little to worry about, just ride the damn thing :)

Actually, on a second thought, when you also found some oil in there - maybe it's part of OSSA design then to intentionally let in some little oil into magneto box to prevent corrosion? I.e. I know BMW uses special o-rings between shaf-drive dry/wet compartments that let through some oil to lubricate parts on the other side a little too (annoys some owners, but it's actually part of the function lol)

Flywheel puller is 27 mm normal right-hand thread (not as some people say that stuff on the right hand of the crankshaft are left-handed thread). Don't know the pitch, but looks pretty standard to me (1.0?). I have the Jitsie puller (for GasGas), works perfect on OSSA TRi flywheel. Found even a cheaper alternative here.

Yep,puller is M27x1,0,will make one tomorrow.

Had a look at the cover again and there is no lip on top of the cover and has never been  any ,does a little "yawn" on top.

A 4mm plastic pipe/tube will go in were the cables goes,3mm drill and squeze in the pipe/tube.

Probably buying a magnesium cover anyway........ B)

The magnesium cover looks nice and fits great but... magnesium oxidizes really quick. I just checked the inside of the magnesium cover on my bike and found some white spots.... 

Short term cure is clean and use corrosion prevention but the better solution is a ceradure coating (just googled it  -_-).

So the plastic cover isn't that bad at all and cheap to replace (carbon cover looks nice as well and doesn't corrode...)!

Canada280i is right.Oil is not right in there.Neither is a leak of the other kind.A broken or missing fastener for the crankcase cover can cause a vacuum leak creating a lean condition with eventual piston overheating a possibility.The screws that hold the stator in place can also come loose and get knocked off by the flywheel.debris can get caught on the ignition pickup creating an intermittent no start problem.

Pulling the cover and flywheel to check things out is a good idea now and then.