Scorpa 300 Twenty Taming

ftp

I have a new to me 300 Scorpa twenty 2015 - (should have bought a 250 I know and will next time)

But in the mean time I would like to take the edge off it at the bottom as I am not changing till 2017 m/y, I find it  its very abrupt and much harder to find the grip in the mud/slime ( mud/slime yuk ) than I did with my old rather tired 2008 290 Sherco, which Isnt suprising.

I have work to do and have not ridden it the wet very much so  suppose things will improve with practice but would still like to soften it.

There seems to be options of 

Throttle tubes

Low compression head

flywheel weight

What the best place to start ?

Any advice would be appreciated :)

Thanks

I rode one in the summer at my clubs two day. First day was bone dry, really liked the bike. It didn't feel as good as my gas gas but i couldn't honestly have ridden any better in terms of score. Second day it rained and i found as you say it was very difficult to get grip with. Id fit a slow throttle first, then a flywheel weight. The motor builds revs really quickly so i dont think a low compression head will help. A 26mm dellorto carb may be a better bet to slow down the pickup

As above I'd go for the Flywheel weight first and also the slow action throttle, I had a ride the other day on a 16 Sherco 250 & 300 & a 16 Scorpa 300, Both 300's felt far to powerful for me even compared to my 300 Evo, and I agree the revs do build up very quickly which is probably why you are struggling with grip, The flywheel weight should help this a lot, Also make sure the rear suspension is set up for your weight, This will also help with grip, Hope you get it sorted.

Thanks for your advice

I think I will try the slow action throttle first - are they just a long twist or are they ramped ?

Regarding the suspension - I have set the  suspension set up with literally minimum damping in an effort to help me with hopping which is coming along really well as I have been working on that in the dry , but I was committed to riding in a practice/training day in the rain and mud and  I didnt change the suspension for it and should have done I suppose.

Im no newbie on a bike but am fairly new to trials, I am not sure how the damping effects grip ?

Thanks

Thanks

again

slow action is a longer twist,calms things down a fair amount and is easy and cheap to do.Itll grip better with more damping and with the spring set so it sags to 1/3 of the travel with you standing on it .Probably the most powerful bike out there,you'll need good throttle control to benefit from its ability,be patient.

If the wheels leaving the ground its not going to help with grip, so I would suggest you put the damping back to standard. Its easy enough to hop the rear end with practice, changing the shock to make this happen will damage your riding in other areas. The shock should also have some sag, there is a good guide to suspension set up if you look at the ohlins shock set up information on the SplatShop site, just click the link for the Ohlins Shock.

Get a black tube domino throttle, they aren't ramped but you don't really need it to be on a 300 unless you are an expert.

Cheers - yep it is very quick right from the bottom - I watched a great young rider at S1 level on one and could see it was great for him , but it was my 2nd time out on it and first in the wet/mud and it made a t*^t out of me :) I have ordered an s3 flywheel weight and a slow throttle and see if I get along with either or both.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...