2 Stroke To A Montesa 4Rt

devo8

Currently riding a Sherco 290 2012 the last of the stop machines.I ride at clubman level, down south, to be honest I find it can be bit of an handful i.e. gets away from me in the technical stuff , I have  had a quick go on a 2016 4RT, it is  heavier especially the front end although I found the power delivery very linear  and precise  which was great but I'm just wondering how big a learning curve it will be to change to a 4 stroke ?

• Like 1

Currently riding a Sherco 290 2012 the last of the stop machines.I ride at clubman level, down south, to be honest I find it can be bit of an handful i.e. gets away from me in the technical stuff , I have  had a quick go on a 2016 4RT, it is  heavier especially the front end although I found the power delivery very linear  and precise  which was great but I'm just wondering how big a learning curve it will be to change to a 4 stroke ?

6 months to get used to it, then you'll be away

• Like 1

Stick with it and you will be rewarded. As above, probably 6 months so don't sell it before then if you struggle to adapt at first. I've had a rare outing to the shed this evening for vital 4rt maintenance, polishing the dog bone, well? gives the tools something to do and keeps the dust off them.

12717699_10152944428182185_7971869997224

• Like 2

Stick with it and you will be rewarded. As above, probably 6 months so don't sell it before then if you struggle to adapt at first. I've had a rare outing to the shed this evening for vital 4rt maintenance, polishing the dog bone, well? gives the tools something to do and keeps the dust off them.

12717699_10152944428182185_7971869997224

ya tart!!!!!

• Like 1

I swithed from a GG 280 to a 06 4rt back in 06 learned the first day 4rt was for me I did things with it i could not do with the GG im still riding that 06 4rt only thing ive done to it was replace fenders and fork seals once oh and 1 spark plug 

• Like 1

Went from a 07 Sherco 250 to  a 2011 Beta 300 Evo 4T...took about a week to adapt to the 4 stroke. Love it now, would not ride a  2t anymore. Sold the Beta, just bought a 2016 Montesa 4RT...due for delivery soon. Stoked about this new bike.

Its a huge learning curve, your going to feel like you just started riding, other than for its a trials bike, it does everything different from a 2 stroke machine. Have you tried a slow turn throttle tube on your Sherco???? Or possibly a flywheel weight to take some of the zip out of it. The Monty is a good bike but not necessarily the answer your looking for. They are not the most user friendly clubman bikes, Just my opinion as I have had three of them throught the years while waiting for my new bikes to arrive. And the myth that they get better traction than the other bikes is a hoax, Traction comes from proper position and throttle and clutch controll. Just my humble opinion, but I watch clubman level guys struggle terrible on the Montys

Went from a 07 Sherco 250 to  a 2011 Beta 300 Evo 4T...took about a week to adapt to the 4 stroke. Love it now, would not ride a  2t anymore. Sold the Beta, just bought a 2016 Montesa 4RT...due for delivery soon. Stoked about this new bike.

Most people bought a 4RT then 4T. It will be interesting to hear your comments.

• Like 1

4 RT is great fun but not easy to ride. If you ride alot of mud you will really struggle. Only the very experienced clubmen types can get them to grip.

I think I am around the clubmen level (intermediate out here)? When I got my 07 4RT I had a much better time with grip/traction than with the 2T's I had been on.  

Maybe I am the rare exception?  

Adapting is an individual thing. :D

For me coming of a beta rev3 250 it was quite easy.

Did the switch to a mont since the riding style seemed to be more of a smooth and fluent style.

I started by watching the 4 stroke guys and mimicking their riding style.

Just a small thing like raising the front wheel onto an obstacle impressed me with the amount of control they seem to have.

For me remembering not to overwork the bike and really trust the grip helped a lot.

It feels like I am using far less throttle on the mont, much smother roll on roll off throttle and I can place the front wheel more precise height wise.

For uphill in both muddy and dry I simply lean back and let the bike do the job, big difference when I realized what the bike can do, I get much less spin than on the 2 stroke if I just can get my head to remember to be smooth on the throttle.

Use my body more loading the front and rear wheel but with the characteristic of the engine, I can do things I would not be able to on the beta.

But I guess it doesn't matter if I'm on a 2 stroke or a 4 stroke, if you whack the throttle in a muddy uphill you will get less traction with both, but with a 4 stroke I believe I can control it better.

But that's just me... :)

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies guys , I'm going to watch a trial this weekend as opposed  to ridding just to see how the guys on the montesa's  get on compared to the 2 stroke guys it should be interesting as its been non stop rain .

I had a repsol 4rt 260 for a couple of months. In hindsight i wished i'd kept it and perservered. I think the build quality for me was one of the biggest things, they are a fair bit better than the euro bikes although i think beta are the best of the 2 strokes (although vertigo or trs may change that). Everything lines up, yes the oil/filter change was a pain but you don't need to do it half as much, everything was just well engineered. They do grip, you just have to learn how. I found riding smooth was the way to go. They are certainly rewarding when you get stuff right too and really fun to ride!

I'm actually at a point where I have a near on new 2-stroke and I'm considering selling and getting another 4rt! Crazy, maybe, i'm just trying to justify the hit i'll take on the 2 stroke! 

• Like 4