280 Clutch Actuator

brownie001

Here,    http://www.swm-moto.net/en/?jjj=1455288193313

Used to be here, http://www.swm-moto.org/  Registro storico SWM

It's quite a long winded process, you get shown a list of parts, you tell them what you want, they check the availability and quote you a price, you pay, they send.

The guy I dealt with was one Mauro Sironi, a relative of the SWM founder Piero ?

• Like 2

FYI,  the arm, spring, retaining plate and ball bearings are all Aprilia parts, it just the round plate at the back which sits on the original ramp tops (this is not true, check out the Barnett clutches thread for the documented pictures) in the casing which has been specially made. It also has ramps cast into it for the three large ball bearings.

AP0259325 that's the part number for the arm b.t.w.

Yes indeed, the site is full of interesting stuff, glad you like it, hope you find what you're looking for too.

Tschau,

Phil

Edited by brownie001
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

A friend is working on my Rotax powered Can-Am 240 trials bike and discovered this gem today!!!  Looks like a custom job to smooth out the clutch just a bit.  I've yet to even see OR ride this bike yet, so excited to try it out.  All feedback is welcome!

post-20184-0-73528800-1457490649_thumb.jpg

Now that's interesting.

The arm you have is made of steel and has been lengthened by probably 10 mm. That was a well known mod on the original actuator arms.

The one I have, which is an Aprilia part, is diecast ally, so a little more difficult to extend if required.

There certainly are more than one way to skin a cat !

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Thanks Brownie001 for the Aprillia Part number... 

Heres a link to the parts page, showing the rest of the part in the Lever assy.

https://www.bike-parts-aprilia.com/aprilia-motorcycle/125-APRILIA-MOTORCYCLES/CLASSIC/1996/ENGINE/Clutch-cover/122/2/444004862/18

Found one a few on ebay.... so looks like a conversion is coming up !.

Hi basinbaker2, if you are going for the conversion but keeping the original SWM casing, the ramps need to be milled off and a special plate with cast in ramps is required. When I finally got hold of mine from Italy, I had a few cast if you are interested. In fact, just checked, I have all the bits for two complete conversions plus 3 more cast plates and various adjuster screws and 12 mm balls.

PM me if you are interested.

Phil

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hi, except the cast plate, bottom right, everything is an Aprilia part or a simple third party for screws, spring and so. Check the Barnett Clutches thread for more details. The milling involved is not too big a number if you have experience with your machine, should be no problem. I have four plates left. That includes one complete set as in the pic. I'm asking €20 plus p&p for the plate alone and €60 plus P&P for the one complete set.

As you are in the US, you might like to keep an eye out for later Can Am Bombardier engines which are being broken. They have the same setup but with a steel arm which you can cut, extend and weld.

The best fix for a better, lighter mechanical clutch is to get hold of an Aprilia TX cover or an air cooled climber one. Hens teeth here.

If your Italian is 'Intuative', as indeed mine is, you can also get everything you need here, http://www.swm-moto.net/en/?jjj=1455288193313&jjj=1459258046796

Phil