Questions About My New 321 Txt

co_dirtbiker

I just picked up a 2001 321 TXT and had couple of question for you GasGas owners.

1) The four bolts that hold the seat and fender unit together. What's the secret to getting the bolts to thread properly? I must have spent two hours trying to put those back in after cleaning my air filter!

2) Anybody know where I can get a service manual for this bike?

Last but not least is there any other modifications that should be made to this bike? It's bone stock from what I can tell.

Thanks

I just picked up a 2001 321 TXT and had couple of question for you GasGas owners.

1) The four bolts that hold the seat and fender unit together.  What's the secret to getting the bolts to thread properly?  I must have spent two hours trying to put those back in after cleaning my air filter!

The nut part on the back sides are those sort of speed nuts and move around some. It helps to line them up before youtry to thread a screw in there.  Take a phillips screw driver and push it into the holes to line up the holes in the seat and the nut then thread the bolt in.  That'll make it much easier.

Last but not least is there any other modifications that should be made to this bike?  It's bone stock from what I can tell.\

321 is a great bike. We've got like seven of them with the guys I ride with.  I have a 99, and my buddies ride 2000's and 2001's.  I've ridden most of the new bikes and haven't found anything that has a motor like that 321.  The only bike that ever did was my Fantics.  The 321 is a smoother motor than the 280s.  I dropped to a 10 tooth countershaft sprocket.  That makes 2nd and 3rd gears the choice for almost all sections, but leaves you with a low 1st for the super rough tight sections.

Be careful with the rear fender as there isn't much of rear sub frame on the 2001.  Do not wrench the mounting bolts down too tight as they thread into the plastic of the airfilter and you'll pull the nuts through the plastic.

Maxima MTL 75 wt in the tranny.  ATF works too, but isn't quite as good as the Maxima.

I use ATF in the forks too.

I'd put a set of the neoprene fork protectors on there.  I've had them on my 321 since it was new and it still has the original fork seals in it.  It's ridden a meet every month, hundreds of practice sessions and a couple of doxen trips across the Five Miles of Hell (again last Saturday) and has been bullet proof.  I think it's one of the best bikes ever build for the club level rider.

Thanks

1) The four bolts that hold the seat and fender unit together.  What's the secret to getting the bolts to thread properly?  I must have spent two hours trying to put those back in after cleaning my air filter!

1) Cuss and swear for about 18 months. Then you'll get the idea. I managed to survive like that but a mate reckoned to grind them screws to a taper thread then it works a treat. Dunno never tried it.

2) Try the Gas Gas USA site. can't remember the URL. But the manuals on there in PDF format.

Fellow Gasgas'r,

I had a 99 & 2000 321... the 2000 and newer had different shock setup on the rear, both of them I had to get the heavier person springs since I am a big guy, from the guy at EuroDirt, in Silt Colorado.

http://www.thewhimsicalwagon.com/eurodirt/

Those 321's are great bikes, I really am glad that was my "back to Competition" bike I got in 02. I have the PDF's for that bike around here somewhere, and you will see I answered the thread about Colorado, if you want me to email the pdf files (you use Adobe's free, Acrobat Reader to open them) I could be persuaded. IMHO Dont gear it down, you'll get stuck with that mentality & it will be harder to get on the newer bikes (IMHO).

I did detune the spark timing just a wee bit, made it really smooth, the guy before me installed reeds, and extra base & head gasket, at least in the 99 model. I loved the 99 the most, it was sooo smooooth. We did try to match it with my 2000. I did however have to Get the quick pull throttle. I ride Intermediate, I was more or less just out of Amature (riding & recovering from broken leg that kept me out almost a year) when we got rid of the 321's.

I Moved up to the 04 300, wont be going back anytime soon.

Edited by Sting32

Never had a 321 but the 250 '01 had the same seat arrangement, I found that using a Hex head T bar helps a lot. It allows you to alter the angle of attack whilst still turning the screw. Always leave them loose until you get the last one in.

I just love the engine on my '01 321. I'm mostly riding trails and stuff - incredible torque, I love being in a 3rd gear hillclimb at low speed and the engine will not stall!

I Moved up to the 04 300, wont be going back anytime soon.

Sting32, I'm curious how the engines compare when riding, especially in the torque department. The '05 300 bore & stroke = 79 x 60 (294cc). The '01 bore & stroke = 83.4 x 60 (327cc). It seems like the larger bored bike might have more "grunt" - but I know there are a lot of factors that influence things in a "real life" test...

BTW - Does anyone know why they call a bike with 327 cc's a "321"??

Jeff

Sting32, I'm curious how the engines compare when riding, especially in the torque department.  The  '05 300 bore & stroke = 79 x 60 (294cc).  The '01 bore & stroke = 83.4 x 60 (327cc).  It seems like the larger bored bike might have more "grunt" - but I know there are a lot of factors that influence things  in a "real life" test...

Jeff

I was attempting a reply to you, looks like R2Wtrials covered it...

I will add, that IMHO the bikes are perfect (321&300) for bigger riders, yet each cater to, a different skillset for lack of better term? The 300's are geared faster, rev fast, can feel like they will get away from you when you 1st move up to one, from the 321, the fork rake is different everything is soo different than the TXT's that I had.

You are intermediate like me, I was keen on clutching already, IMHO so torque? Well, prolly just a bit less, as it is definitly different altogether, hard for me to put finger on a description. The 300 lugs me up hills pretty good. So again about torque: :) SInce I use the clutch so much, there is in the pro somewhere between Infinity and no torque compared to the txt in the same situation not slipping the clutch, all this is depending on body position at the time :)

• 12 years later...