Barnett Clutch Plates Tlr200E

heavywrecker

A few years ago I got TLR Barnett Kevlar friction plates and springs from PDQ Motorcycle Developements

Clive would be very interested in your feelings on the barnetts after using them a while. Have heard mixed comments on their advantages on the two valve Honda.

Tlrmark

I have ridden my TLR 250 since 1996 and for the first 10 years or so it was mainly twinshock championship rounds which were not too bad on the clutch but if I rode local modern bike trials, especially if there was a need to slip the clutch in third a lot, then the clutch adjustment was all over the place. I tried new genuine friction plates and ones from another supplier and they lasted about a year before needing changing and when very hot both needed to have the cable adjusted, one was one way and one the other, I have no notes on which was which. In 2008 I fitted Barnett Kevlar plates and have not changed them since, and do not adjust the clutch during a trial. I think they might now need changing after the last trial which was very muddy and nearly 20 miles all off rode. I will do an oil change to see if this changes anything, the clutch did not slip but it was very light and felt like there was very little adjustment left on the cable. 

I use 4 Kevlar drive plates plus the CG125 anti rattle kit, I use the Barnett MT15 clutch springs and a good quality semi synthetic 4 stroke motorcycle oil, in the past I have had clutch problems with expensive fully synthetic car oil as it does not have the correct packages for a wet clutch. I have learnt that it helps to put a spacer behind the clutch actuator bearing so that the clutch arm is a far back as possible. I once designed and part made a kit using 4rt parts to convert to hydraulic clutch.

I hope this helps.

• Like 4

Yes, that helps a lot. I thought you might have a unique perspective after working on all manner of old fourstrokes over the years.

The clutch cable free play changing erratically, constantly is a big problem.

I have also used various brands of clutch plates over the years with no real improvement.

I will try spacing out the bearing as well as your other suggestions.

Thank You

Edited by tlrmark

• 5 months later...

Well i finally got some Barnett Kevlar clutch plates in the TLR 250, & had a ride for a couple of hours @ the club grounds today, & have to say i'm pretty happy with them!! no noises or slipping of the clutch just total engagement:) i use the anti judder kit & 4 Kevlar plates & so far everything is great!