Montesa 315R

brentmain

Hi,

This site seems like a good place to find out this info!

I've been looking at a 315R (post 2001, showa forks model)

Seen some for sale in excess of £2750

Is it worth buying the 315R?

Agree it was an awesome bike in its time and still more than capable of competeing at the very highest level (in the right hands), however here comes the big question!

Are all the usual parts still available for this bike?  We're talking along the lines of Piston, Rings, Bearings, Seals, CDI, Gasket kits, Plastics etc, etc, etc!!!!!

Seen a post about discontinued brake pads and that got me thinking!

Thanks in advance for your info. 

Edited by brentmain

The parts question has crossed my mind the other day when I realised my 315 is now 15 years old. Not had any problems getting parts yet. As I remember, the engine bearings and seals are standard fare, maybe the linkage had odd sizes. Piston kits look easy enough to find, and once renewed should last a long time. Foot pegs and levers aftermarket. Wheels and plastics 4rt. I think it is correct to say most trials brake systems are shared with various mopeds, so aftermarket should take care of that. It'll be parts uniquely specific to the 315, like the exhaust and kickstart Johnnyboxer mentioned, I could imagine becoming a problem.

Those asking prices seem steep ! I thought a 315 would barely fetch a grand. Saying that, even if some nutter offered £2k for my bike, I think I would hold onto it. It's just fine for a crap old man to ride club trials on. I would only seriously consider replacing it with a 4rt, and at the moment it just doesn't seem worth the upgrade cost and effort involved in learning to ride a four stroke.

• Like 2

I have noted some of the optimistic price tags onthe 'net for ropey looking 315 Monts.

I was going to start a thread on the matter but this post fits the bill...I like the bike but £2000-2700 for any 315 is madness :o.

A great starter bike but not for that money.

• 1 month later...

hi everyone I'm looking for bit of advice on my 2001 315r. i got the bike through a friend that it for years, he had a few outings on it and came off and broke his arm so the bike sat in his garage for the last five years unused. when i first got it i gave it a service, oil, filters, plug etc and stripped and cleaned the carb. I've got the bike to the point where it starts 2nd or 3rd kick. I've played about with the air and mixture screws so that is idles well, the bikes runs okay but not prefect as its not got a lot of power off the mark most trials bikes I've had a shot on will lift the front wheel no bother throughout all the gears but mines doesn't seam to be doing it, I'm just wondering if over the time the bike has sat the piston rings have started to crack and caused damage to the piston and casing. Im reluctent to start dismantling the engine just now till i get some more advice on this.

cheers   

Can't wait for 4RT prices to climb, though :moon:

Apparently my local dealer is selling 5 a week which might indicate a possible glut on the secondhand market if owners change back to a twostroke (there being little point in changing from a used 260 to a new one within several years).

hi everyone I'm looking for bit of advice on my 2001 315r. i got the bike through a friend that it for years, he had a few outings on it and came off and broke his arm so the bike sat in his garage for the last five years unused. when i first got it i gave it a service, oil, filters, plug etc and stripped and cleaned the carb. I've got the bike to the point where it starts 2nd or 3rd kick. I've played about with the air and mixture screws so that is idles well, the bikes runs okay but not prefect as its not got a lot of power off the mark most trials bikes I've had a shot on will lift the front wheel no bother throughout all the gears but mines doesn't seam to be doing it, I'm just wondering if over the time the bike has sat the piston rings have started to crack and caused damage to the piston and casing. Im reluctent to start dismantling the engine just now till i get some more advice on this.

cheers   

Not sure on this on but often if the bike has never been updated from stock it would be lean on the idol jet. Also worth checking to see if it got a black slow throttle tube put on it?  if so that could be most of your issue right there. 

I am not a 315 expert so just a few possible thoughts to consider.  :thumbup:

Edited by jonnyc21