2012 Air Filter Issue

johnmc408

I have a 2012 Explorer with the original air filter, which just I cleaned, and now can't get the sensor seated back into it.

I even tried to heat up the rubber (w/blow dryer), but still can't get it pushed all of the way in.

Any tricks?

I spoke to Lewisport and they can't get the upgrade kit (2013+ with the top screw).  I did get the secondary air filter, which is good as I am not sure I'll take this one off again ;-)

Thanks!

When I had my 2011 model I used to thread the rubber spikes on the filter through the holes and then grab the end with a pair of pliers and stretch the rip über spike a little while pushing the sensor in, there is a small ridge on the rubber spike that holds the sensor in place, when it is stretched through the hole and released the ridge should be visible indicating that the sensor is in

When I had my 2011 model I used to thread the rubber spikes on the filter through the holes and then grab the end with a pair of pliers and stretch the rip über spike a little while pushing the sensor in, there is a small ridge on the rubber spike that holds the sensor in place, when it is stretched through the hole and released the ridge should be visible indicating that the sensor is in

Thanks, maybe I am doing it wrong.  I have been assuming that you had to force the sensor (hard plastic) into the rubber base.  It sounds like you are saying that the 2 rubber spikes do the actual "holding in place".  That doesn't seem right to me though.  When I remove it, i really had to pull on the sensor to remove it from the rubber base.

I have not tried it, but assume the bike will not run w/o a tight seal of the sensor inside of the air filter.

My next step is to force the hole larger with a screwdriver and try and push the sensor in that way.

I'll also get a 2nd opinion from my neighbor that is better at this sort of thing ;-)

yes, the 2 rubber spikes hold the sensor in. You also have to make sure that the airfilter rubber is seated in the airbox hole correctly, there is a rim again that has to be pushed all the way down through the hole, almost like a channel around the rubber that the plastic of the box sits into. IF the filter rubber is not all the way through the hole it can interfere with the seating of the sensor as there is very little clearance between the sensor and the airbox

I found that the plastic sensor holder has sharp edges on the two small holes where the rubber holding/guiding pegs slide into. The rubber tends to bind up on the sharp edges. Remove the sharp edges a little, with a twist drill bit held in your hand, then fit the sensor unit as above, use a bit of spit on the rubber guides and pull on the rubbers a little with pliers while fitting. They usually go in ok with a bit of a fiddle.

Bye, Peter B.