Bantam Trials Build Questions

john b

Hi

Ive covered rim size on a previous post, but thought I would ask the remaing (at the moment) questions in one go

1 - Sprocket size

Its a 4 speed engine - unsure of any internal gearing changes. What the best combination of sprocket sizes ?

Also- chain, 428 ?

2 - Wheel offet

Im about to get new rims built onto bantam hubs

Rear (using a widened swinging arm and engine offset 8mm) - I think needs no offset ?

Front - I think 6mm offset to brake side ?

3 - Chain tensioner

Any advice on best type ?

may think of more !

cheers

John

Hi

Ive covered rim size on a previous post, but thought I would ask the remaing (at the moment) questions in one go

1 - Sprocket size

Its a 4 speed engine - unsure of any internal gearing changes. What the best combination of sprocket sizes ?

Also- chain, 428 ?  

2 - Wheel offet

Im about to get new rims built onto bantam hubs

Rear (using a widened swinging arm and engine offset 8mm) - I think needs no offset ?

Front - I think 6mm offset to brake side ?

3 - Chain tensioner

Any advice on best type ?

may think of more !

cheers

John

Have you changed the crankshaft sprocket ? you should. 12 tooth crankshaft. 12 tooth gearbox. 60 tooth rear wheel on a 428 chain but some use 420 to help with clearance. I used Whitton hubs which are 17mm offset from brake face front and 34mm from inner sprocket face rear but i dont know if bantam would be same. Chain tensioner depends on where you mount it any aftermarket universal one should do. 

Hi John

Ref chain tensioner get one from Jim Pickering (Drayton), it fits at lower rear engine mounting point (actually bracket to frame bolt), it uses a longer bolt has a roller instead of a pad and is well out of the way, they are made to fit Drayton frames but to fit to my modified Bantam frame I just used a thinner nut between roller and bracket and removed a small amount from allen bolt

head one of those jobs where thinking time is more than doing time. I originally used a universal one but it got continually bent

or pad filled with mud and stones.

Is there a Drayton website? I can't find one so thought I'd ask. Or, other than at shows and events, is there anywhere his products can be viewed?

Hi,

In ORRe, our digital magazine, you'll find plenty of details, including a test session with Mick Grant's Drayton copiously photographed, plus many photographs of them in action in the various classic trials around the country that have been 'Photoreported'

In the next issue (due out shortly) you will find images of some of the Draytons in action at Kinlochleven this year;

Enjoy

Edited by laird387

• 2 months later...