My Old Merlin Is Still As Strong As An Ox

gasgas249uk

I assume the Merlin company is no more. I've never heard of this company and their bikes look very competitive for that period of time. Not that this is i very important, why did the company go bust? (if they did)

Edited by spud

Gasgas249,

There are more merlins in the country. I have a 87 white one,also 2 cagiva dg350's.

There is a site merlinmotorcycles@yahoo dedicated to the bikes.

Spares are a problem, but try the site for any items you may need.

R2 you are correct cagiva /merlin motors are the he same.

My mate rode a Merlin blagged from Dave Renham in the Sammy Miller Trial in Devon recently. He really struggled and was way off form almost entirely due to the ancient rear tyre fitted. It had age hardend and was utterly useless. However I had a quick ride - engine ran well, had decent power & pick up, - but rest of bike was loose & twitchy.....This was a well used example hastily pressed into service & is probably for sale - all collectors please note!

He is merely trying to keep up with your good self, John!! laugh.gif

There are a lot of us queing up to try out either his Merlin or the Cagiva's once Donald Duckwizard finishes his nut and bolt restorations!

Friend of mine had a 350 Cagiva new back in 84 when I had a 320 Armstrong. Had a go on it and it was very pokey, very quick off the throttle with a short powerband and not much over-rev if I remember. Didn't suit me as I like lazier response with loads of over-rev if needed.

They were sold as Cagiva here and Merlin in Europe. They are quite popular in Spanish twinshock trials and are always in the Spanish results/reports on Todotrial Classic. Some picture of them in action on there too sometimes.

High all

just finished restoring this 1883 cagiva,it does every thing better than my cota 349 ,had it running before I did all the final bits and pieces so I didn't mess it up......but I will probably sell it to fund my triton project ..

cheers Helmet

p.s site wont accept my photo says its to big?try merlin/cagiva site on yahoo

and go to photos check out IAN's bike...I will try for an e mailable image later

post-1159-1130419687.jpg

Edited by helmet

:) I believe MERLIN was set up by members of the Bulto Family (Bultaco) after it closed and first models ie DG350 were very similar to Sherpas except that they had CAGIVA sourced engines.

There are excellent pictures & details in MANOLO CASADO'S web of his trials bike collection (which must be the largest in the world).

NOTE: this is possibly one of the best sites for getting details of any Spanish, Italian and French bikes of the 70's & 80's.

see: www.trialmc.com

Unfortunately the site is only in Spanish so get the dictionaries out.

• 2 years later...

• 6 months later...