Bsa Sunbeam

smelling123

That's a coincidence, we were looking at one of those motors at the VMCC jumble at Shepton Mallet yesterday. We had both seen this bike and like the idea as a project in a Bantam frame.While we were nattering about it an elderly gent joined in and mentioned he had 6 of those engines at home.Be a good project when all the others are done...

• Like 3

250cc Twin Cylinder Scooter motor, think there was a Triumph badged version too.

The Triumph Tigress, there was a BSA Comp Shop creation by Brian Martin of a trials bike created with the motor from a Tigress, we told the fully illustrated story in our digital magazine, ORRe, where you can still read all about it..........

Edited by laird387

Hi Guy's.

Hi "Smelling".

Is that bike "Vera"?

It looks very much like it to me.

I started to do a Story on that bike a while ago, but I have not yet got around to publishing it,

If It is "Vera" I would very much like to know.

You can contact me on the Otter site if you like.

Regards Charlie.

Hi Guy's.

Hi "S".

Look I have found my old material out.

And It looks like your bike is not "Vera" but another that looks a lot like Her.

So this makes life a lot more interesting  and we have another story to follow.

I an a gluton for punishment where this type of bike is involved.

Why? because I grew up in a Garage that sold them and fixed them, "Tigress" that is .

And they were a pain, always oiling plugs I seem to remember when New.

Trouble was they never did enough miles as a scooter and needed a jolly good thrashing up the road, and they were quick for a scooter.

But what a gorgeous sound that little motor made, and was worth all the trouble just to get that rasping note when fixed.

Luckily the silencers fitted on the scooter right behind the back wheel in all of the crud (what a stupid place) rotted fairly easily so made them sound even better,

But were a pain to fix because all of the bodywork had to be removed.

Anyway enough of my ranting.

But you can see that I loved that little engine, and still think the "Works" trials bike may be still about.

Regards Charlie.

Edited by charlie prescott
  • Like 1

Hi Guy's.

For any of you lucky enough to own a full set (All 101 issues) of the paper original version of Off Road Review.

the full story about the "Work's" Tigress trials bike  by Don Morley is in magazine number 59 and starts on page 30.

the title is ,

"Long Lost Works BSA which once benefited greatly from the Nelson touch, found again."

​It is a real pity that Don didn't put his hand in his pocket at the time, then we would not have again lost the bike for perhaps ever?

Derek has  the ORR-e version in one of the issues I am sure he knows which one.

I must start trawling through my paper versions there is some interesting stuff that I have missed.

Regards Charlie.