Any Known Gearbox Problems/noise On A 06' 290?

mspenz

I've only had the bike a couple of weeks and used it twice, the rest of the time iv'e either been working tidying things up (replacing the usual seals/bushes/bearings & spraying the frame) or I've been busy with other stuff.

First 3 gears are perfect and engage as they should but I got it out in a field behind the house tonight and when I put it into 4th and gave it throttle there was an audible 'clack' sound which seems to come from down the left side around the sprocket area, this clack only happens when under throttle and as soon as I close off the throttle regardless of speed there's no noise, same happens in 5th??

If I go along in 4th or 5th and hold the throttle on the clack becomes like a rythmic noise every couple of seconds or so as if it's happening on rotation, I initially thought that it was coming from the chain but I can't replicate it in any way and I can't see anything in contact that might make that type of sound.

It sounds a bit like a worn CV joint when you hear someone pulling out from a junction, it's also difficult to pinpoint as I can only hear it under acceleration so every time I open up in 4th and try to crouch down to listen the bloody thing wheelies, not what you want when looking down and leaning over the side  :rolleyes:

Are there any known issues with this type of sound and am I looking at a gearbox strip or can it be coming from the drivetrain?

Cheers,

Mike.

Edited by mspenz

There's new chain and sprockets on the bike but I'm having to put the adjuster cams fully round to take up the slack, if I remove 1 link then the ends won't meet with the cams fully slack!

The new chain etc was on the bike when I got it and I always thought it odd that the chain was so long, the notch and pin on the brake calliper only allow so much movement and it isn't enough to allow the extra link to come out?

Sprockets are a standard 10/42.

The time of the noise is more like the chain revolution rather than a fast gear rotation speed so it looks like I'll have to check again to see if the wheel will go far enough forward to remove 1 link and shorten the chain to allow better adjustment but I must be missing something obvious!

The chain seemed to be ok and that's why I wondered about gearbox noise but it kinda makes sense that gear noise would probably be more rapid...why just tensioner noise in 4th & 5th though?

Thanks for the info and suggestions.

Cheers, Mike.

Ok, I'm just back in from messing around and I changed the joining link earlier as I noticed it was wider than the others...noise gone!!

I'm now reading your guys suggestions and realising that it's pretty common so that's a big relief....something so small can make so much noise.

Still can't understand why it only done it in the top 2 gears though?

I'm also struggling to get the chain shortened by one link, at the moment the cam adjusters are fully tensioned and the chain and tensioner is pretty much spot on, as it already was, only problem being that I have no further adjustment available.

I think the problem lies with the R/H side, the braided brake hose runs through the swing arm and when I try to push the wheel fully forward the hose contacts with the edge of the swing arm recess (where the hose exits) and it won't allow the wheel to go any further forward but there's still a few mm available to move?

Also, how many chain links are the Sherco owners using, I'm counting 50 outer links?

Cheers,

Mike