Advice On A 1999 (Maybe 2000) Sherco/bultaco 125

ian murphy

I am considering buying a 1999 or 2000 Sherco 125 and would like to ask if anyone has any advice about this model.  The price is fine for it's age, and the bike looks ok, but I have not heard it running yet.  The seller has assured me it is in solid condition.

I am a bit worried about parts availability or any serious issues to look out for.

Thanks in advance

Edited by ian murphy

Thanks for the feedback.

I did a lot of looking around on the internet last night and it looks like most parts are available.  This is a first bike for my lad to learn on, so it will be getting dropped on a regular basis  :D 

I am also happy to a bike that will probably need a bit more regular TLC and maintenance in the hope that we can work on it together and he can learn about looking after his own bike in the future.  Whether that actually happens or I become his mechanic remains to be seen!  :rolleyes:

Plastics are the hardest thing to get for that age bike, 99 & 2000 were the only 2 years that used the particular set up.

99 was orange & grey/silver, 2000 was blue & grey/silver which may help with aging the bike.

I can't remember whether 99 had a 125 available, I had a 250 & that was the only engine size available here with the 290 coming out in 2000

Generally Sherco has been very good at using the same basic engine parts for a large number of years with the newer upgraded parts being a direct replacement for the older pieces so you shouldn't have any problems there

• Like 1

Cheers for the comments, I am sure this is a 99 bike as it is a reddish orange and silver.  I picked it up this morning.  Not in bad nick at all.  A few jobs to do, the usual things, a wheel bearing or two, brake pads and new grips etc, but the engine sounds sweet as a nut.  Started second kick without any problems.  Owner told me it was fully rebuilt and has only done about 12 hours since.  I have no reason to doubt that as it sounds so good.  The bodywork is in reasonable condition, if I were doing a full restoration type rebuild I would replace it, but as it is for my lad to learn on, I can't see the point.  

So thanks again for the advice, I am sure we will have some fun on it  :D