Spark Plugs (Using A Different Brand)

beta_trials

Hello every one.

I have 2 questions im looking to pick everyones brains about.

Number 1:

Does anyone play around with different brands of spark plugs. Im not talking about using iridium style plugs either.

For instance the factory recommended plug for the 09 beta evo is an NGK BR7ES.

Has anyone tried an E3, AcDelco, ECT. of same temp?

Number 2:

Can a spark plug cause a sound similar to a piston knock?

I could tell you horror stories about off brand plugs in various applications. Stick with what works!!! Or be your own test pilot! Trust me, there is someone out there that will sell you a POS like the China made E3 and laugh while you cry!

So True about plugs from China

Sent 6 weeks there Dec /  Jan 2016 yes they make all types, i saw NGK ones been made very crude way of making no quality control and dirt floor -  stick with original plugs, if not you'll start speaking like them when it stops  :wall:

• Like 1

I've used different makes, but established brands.

Some heat ratings are scaled opposite e.g. an 8 will equal a 2, 9 equals 1. So care is needed. I used a grass cutter plug as a get home repair with no bad effects and the bike ran as normal.

Edited by sirdabalot
  • Like 1

I have been running an E3 now in my evo for all this last season and its been a fantastic plug in my experience. I really like the way it runs in the bike and seems to make it just a bit crisper when on the throttle. The previous plug i pulled out was an incorrect plug in the first place from NGK. I think it was labeled a BP6ES which is not the correct heat range.

This was more of a curiosity question than anything to see if anyone one else has played around with different plugs for a performance reason.