2 Stroke Oil Fuel Ratio For Classic Spanish Twin Shock

monty349

I use 60;1 on my Cota 247 of fully synthetic race oil (The main reason is I was sponsored by Silkolene when I was road racing, and I have loads of it left! :) )

I also add about a cap full, for two thirds of a tank , as I only usually fill the tank to two thirds each time, of R40, I only do this for the smell really :) but it probably changes the mix to about 50:1. I dont always do this, just now and again as the Silkolene race oil smells pretty good anyway and reminds me of my TZ racing days!

ETA: The R40 sinks to the bottom of the tank as well, maybe its something modern R40 does, because I dont remember it doing this years ago, so shake the tank up good and proper or it gums up the carb when you turn the petrol on practically neat R40 is the first bit of fuel, particularly if you're on reserve. Although R40 is not really for two strokes anyway, just smell gorgeous! :)

Edited by yamanx

• 2 weeks later...

Running 66.67:1 in all bikes which is equal to 75ml of oil to 5.00l of gasoline. Do this for mono's and twinshock bikes from 1979 up to 1988, aircooled and water cooled engines no problems so far. No special oil beside ones with low flammpoint. For gasoline only gas without any ethanol, like ARAL Ultimate or likewise.

Edited by pschrauber
  • Like 2

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/pv-91954-silkolene-classic-2t-premix-sae-40-synthetic-ester-2-stroke-and-rotary-engine-oil-5-litres.aspx?gclid=CLDqlpGp88sCFfAy0wodClAIBA

See above. In 1978 Montesa were advising 24:1, by early 1980s they had changed this to 32:1. Silkoline advises using manufacturers ratios so I would stick with that.

Modern synthetic oils for watercooled engines are not ideal for older air cooled engines.

To return to your original question. I have used Power 1 (TTS) for extended periods at 33:1 and found it to be excellent. Clean running and so little wear or deposits they may as well be zero.

I have friends use A747 at 40:1 for mx and 50:1 for trials, some deposits but minimal wear and reduced engine noise suggesting good film strength and lubrication.

Both the Castrol comments refer to watercooled engines.

Edited by dadof2

• 4 months later...

I've always mixed 75ml to 5lt petrol for all my bikes. Ty175 being the first, then Fantics (150,200,201,241,KT250, Aprillia climber, Gas Gas 320), and have had no problems even in 30 deg heat and no wind.

Basically my rule has always been use the best oil you can get (don't be cheap it doesn't work long term).

For trials mineral or semi synthetic was recomended to me considering the motors can run hot but aren't heavily loaded for long at any time. Also the synthetics have a greater ability to accumulate at low speeds and cause rough running. I would tend to go with the oil manufacturers recomendation over the motor manufacturer for an old (80's, 70's etc) motor as oil technology has moved on several light years since then.

Good luck!

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

On ‎20‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 7:34 PM, yamanx said:

I use 60;1 on my Cota 247 of fully synthetic race oil (The main reason is I was sponsored by Silkolene when I was road racing, and I have loads of it left! :) )

I also add about a cap full, for two thirds of a tank , as I only usually fill the tank to two thirds each time, of R40, I only do this for the smell really :) but it probably changes the mix to about 50:1. I dont always do this, just now and again as the Silkolene race oil smells pretty good anyway and reminds me of my TZ racing days!

ETA: The R40 sinks to the bottom of the tank as well, maybe its something modern R40 does, because I dont remember it doing this years ago, so shake the tank up good and proper or it gums up the carb when you turn the petrol on practically neat R40 is the first bit of fuel, particularly if you're on reserve. Although R40 is not really for two strokes anyway, just smell gorgeous! :)

R40 mixed with fully synthetic, good luck with that...:o

23 minutes ago, oni nou said:

Back in the the day I used to run Belray MC-1 at 50:1 in a Yamaha TY175 and add a few cc's of Brut 33 ...there is nothing better for the ego than being chased round the course by a group of very attractive young ladies........although I must say that my scores did suffer due to poor concentration as a result.

Brut 33:1

....I'll get my coat

• Like 2