Old Trials Rules

greeves

Lately there is some controversy because of a new rule in italy that accepts doing a loop inside the sections and crossing its own track.

FIM has a rule that says it is a 5 if:

- "The motorcycle does a complete loop, crossing its own track with both wheels.

And in the Spanish RFME there is one much similar that says it is a 5 if:

- "The motorcycle does a complete loop, crossing its own track with any of the wheels".

While in the ACU the rule for a five is:

- Travelling in a forward direction against the direction of the section". Both in TRS22A Stop and TRS22B Non-stop.

In my opinion this "loop" rule is absolutely confusing and if you move and change direction while stop, you are allways doing a "loop" want it or not.

I have been trying to find old rules previous to 1975 to see what they say, if those rules talk about "loops" or not, but I can´t find any. The closest is in the old programs of the SSDT, but just an extract.

My question is: Does somebody know if the old rules speak about doing "loops" inside a section or just abour travelling against the direction??

post-2577-0-99509300-1458253413_thumb.jpg

Edited by greeves

Crossing your tracks has always been a rule. Though nowadays it`s generally stretched to one wheel. New riders have always wanted to do loops. Doing loops is generally going backwards in a section to gain advantage. I am so sick of rule changes. The original rules were the easiest. And the FIM almost got it right with the new rules, except they called it no stop. So everyone is confused by a hesitation. I say go for a free for all in the sections. 60 seconds and count every single point. Anyone could then score a section.

• Like 2

Forget Trials, I am more interested in "the fastest one man chain saw in the world"

Stuart

Same here,just been chatting about this over lunch with my parents. My father bought his first Danarm DD8F saw in about 1958, we can't remember what year we defected to Stihl... 

Oh for the simple days when it was all about making progress, one dab, one point, two dabs or as many as you needed, three points and if the front wheel spindle stopped moving forwards, five.

Sections had as many routes through them as you could find, you'd make your own decision which part you thought would be the best bit to get you through, no flags of various colours pinning you in. Walking the section and picking the route you deemed the best, learning from the better riders what would afford you the best grip..... it was the best of times.

• Like 9

What does the Italian rule say--anything at all--or did they just omit the rule altogether? And just for the record, the FIM rule now reads like this:

- A wheel of the motorcycle crosses its own track or that of the other

wheel after doing a complete loop.

Oh for the simple days when it was all about making progress, one dab, one point, two dabs or as many as you needed, three points and if the front wheel spindle stopped moving forwards, five.
Sections had as many routes through them as you could find, you'd make your own decision which part you thought would be the best bit to get you through, no flags of various colours pinning you in. Walking the section and picking the route you deemed the best, learning from the better riders what would afford you the best grip..... it was the best of times.    :agreed:

• Like 2

I must have the old rules somewhere in the attic but, as I recall, they said you could not cross your own path. This was eventually dropped when it was seen to be incompatible with the then new stop allowed rules. Eventually replaced with something like "no looping".

Hi Guy's.

Sections had as many routes through them as you could find, you'd make your own decision which part you thought would be the best bit to get you through, no flags of various colours pinning you in. Walking the section and picking the route you deemed the best, learning from the better riders what would afford you the best grip..... it was the best of times.

You are so right.

Charlie ~Oo>

• Like 4

Sorry, but the actual original rule of the point of reaching a five was: "When the front wheel ceases forward motion". Allowing people to stop and balance merely persuaded more observers that they were no longer willing to man the pencil  

• Like 5