Bike Riding In Reverse

michel

I believe I have a 76 Cota, just got it running ,,don,t know history of bike..when let out the clutch goes in reverse,,never seen anything like it..when bike is turned off seems not to be shifting right....any ideas ...thanks

They can run backwards, just like many other two strokes can. The tendency to run backwards can be almost eliminated if you set the spark timing correctly and get used to using the unusual kickstart.

Yes it is a common occurrence for the 348 Cota to shift poorly when the motor is stopped. Mine won't shift down gears at all unless the motor is running (ie rocking the bike to move the gearbox output shaft does not help).

They also have a tendency to drop out of second gear if it is not properly engaged

Oh yeah, twostrokes running in reverse. There was a Bond three wheeler which had a thing called Dynastart. Allowed you to start the engine in reverse and you then had the same amount of gears in reverse as forward when the engine was running normally.

Scary when you think of it.

One of my funniest moments on a trials bike was after having the engine apart I fired my 348 up, clicked it into gear, dropped the clutch and, er, hung myself up on the handlebars as it shot backwards. OOF! ?

• Like 1

Oh yeah, twostrokes running in reverse. There was a Bond three wheeler which had a thing called Dynastart. Allowed you to start the engine in reverse and you then had the same amount of gears in reverse as forward when the engine was running normally.

Scary when you think of it.

Many snowmobiles, still to this day, are deliberately stopped then started in reverse, automatically by a switch that shuts the motor down, then lets it bounce back off a compression stroke and run backwards, to give reverse.  Then, upon hitting the switch, the motor cuts out until it slows down, bounces back off a compression stroke again, and then runs forward.     

• Like 1