Oily Plug Then Dying

fantic tom

following on from my recent problem i got it running again but now its dying after running a few minuits and then when i remove the plug its very oily!

any ideas how this can happen? i dont think the 2 stroke mix is too strong!

cheers

Tom.

Have you topped the tank up with fresh fuel 'on top' of old premix? The old fuel may have evaporated and left the oil behind.

Try a new spark plug first and get the engine hot to clear it if it does start.

• Like 1

Have you topped the tank up with fresh fuel 'on top' of old premix? The old fuel may have evaporated and left the oil behind.

Try a new spark plug first and get the engine hot to clear it if it does start.

iv just done exactly that and it now runs perfect, i removed plug after 40 mins running and its clean. i think iv somehow put too much 2 stroke in  :dunce:

how many ml of 2 stroke do you guys add to 5 litres of petrol in your fantics? mines the fm450 engine.

• Like 1

Think 40:1 is ok.The previous owner of of my FM350 said he used 40:1.I've been using 50:1 as it says on the filler cap,but going to try 40:1 and see how she runs. Feels a bit boggy on throttle response,you have to wait for the revs to come in from tickover at the min. Changing the oil ratio also changes the fuel>air mixture.I'm going to experiment with a few ratios. Just stick to top quality oil.      

Think 40:1 is ok.The previous owner of of my FM350 said he used 40:1.I've been using 50:1 as it says on the filler cap,but going to try 40:1 and see how she runs. Feels a bit boggy on throttle response,you have to wait for the revs to come in from tickover at the min. Changing the oil ratio also changes the fuel>air mixture.I'm going to experiment with a few ratios. Just stick to top quality oil.      

thanks will do. the 50:1 ratio seemed a bit smokey too, with a lower ratio it isnt.  ill give 40:1 a go im looking at getting the strawberry flavoured stuff when this bottle runs out.

Edited by fantic tom

Why not try 20:1 if it says 50:1 on the sticker on the tank ....I always ignore any information given by the makers ......What do they know about anything........Whatever I say what a wonderful philosophy i have,. Infact I may try 10:1.........Noel Harrrison ......Windmills of your mind......Round like a circle in a spiral like a wheel within a wheel ...never ending or beginning.......

Think you need to lay off the beer!  :blush:

I was talking to a guy at my local club yesterday and he recommend to try 40:1 too as he had same problem. I thaught id double check with knowledgeable guys on here first. 

I think it's easiest to visualise it this way 50:1 = 50l fuel to 1l of oil 40:1 = 40l fuel to 1l oil. The bigger the number in the ratio the less oil there is in the fuel.

Taking up Spens point, I would normally drain the fuel after each ride although I don't think you would loose enough petrol through evaporation to radically effect the mix ratio I'd rather leave the bike dry. The other thng I do is have separate cans for mixed and unmixed fuel. It helps stop the problems of double mixing and not mixing, both of which I've seen.

As for what mix to run, they are supposed to be run at 50:1 a lot of the newer bikes will run at the 70 to 80:1.

If you struggle mixing fuel accurately it might be worth investing n one of these. https://www.accu-products.com/accu-products-specialties/accu-mix-fuel-jug.html?page=allI have seen similar in agricultural/horticultrial suppliers which mix a smaller volume of fuel so might be better for trials use.

Edited by smokey125
  • Like 1

Cheers oops sorry I ment go from 1:40 to 1:50!  (What a plonka :lol: cant get owt right this weekend!)  I'll get myself a large sryinge and measure more carefully with a measuring jug for the petrol too. I'll go to 50:1 and see how it goes iv been getting mixed advice on this as a few people i spoke to said with my bike been older it must be a stronger mix of 40:1

Thanks guys.

Edited by fantic tom