Oily Plug Then Dying

fantic tom

I run all my Fantics on 65:1 fully synthetic - no problems.

Blooming heck! I noticed at 50:1 it revs a lot faster from tick over and hardly any smoke. Does low ratios of 2 stroke oil cause any problems?

Edited by fantic tom

Blooming heck! I noticed at 50:1 it revs a lot faster from tick over and hardly any smoke. Does low ratios of 2 stroke oil cause any problems?

I haven't had any problems going as weak as 50:1 with any engines, but I err on the safe side and use 40:1. 

It's what you're comfortable with. It's the ol' 'How long's a piece of string' job.

With modern synthetic oils being so much more efficient than the mineral oils of the 80's there is no need whatsoever to run at 40:1.

Fantics will happily run at 70:1 with a decent fully synthetic oil, I use Castrol XR77.

Edited by maggar

With modern synthetic oils being so much more efficient than the mineral oils of the 80's there is no need whatsoever to run at 40:1.

Fantics will happily run at 70:1 with a decent fully synthetic oil, I use Castrol XR77.

me too

70/80 : 1   with 100% sintethic oil    (Motul 710-800, Shell Ultra 2t, and others brand)   1.2-1.4 %

in water cooled  engine (Beta EVO )  100/80 : 1      1-1.2 %

For some reason oil to fuel ratios seem to be a very emotive topic and I have made some long posts on the subject in the past.

I run at 30cc oil to a liter of petrol for trials and 50cc oil to a liter of petrol for MX. I do not get oiling up, poor running, smoking, carbon build up or exhaust clogging. I get much less bore wear and much better reliability than I did when I ran at 20cc oil to a litre of petrol.

At very lean ratios 80:1 or 100:1 you may not seize under normal running but that does not mean it is an ideal ratio. Most manufacturers advise between 50 and 65:1 for synthetic oil in a watercooled trials engine.

To avoid oiling up the most important thing (whatever ratio you use) is to always measure your mix accurately and set your carburation properly for that mix.

I have lost count of the number of times riders have repeatedly moved to leaner ratios (less oil) in an attempt to stop oiling up. In fact each time they go leaner they are making the situation worse because they are richening the petro:air ratio, lowering the cylinder pressure and making the engine run cooler.

• Like 1