Marcelle 250 Barrel.

garyhib

Hi Christian the first type of engine similar to the one you have in the Greeves was 9E 197cc with a 5 1/4" conrod, when this engine was enlarged to 246cc the barrel base flange was increased in thickness by 1/4" to add strength because of the greater power output, this required the rod to be lengthened by 1/4" to 5 1/2" these were the A series engines 32a 34a 37a.

My knowledge of the alloy barrels is mostly Greeves, DOT, Ajax for the 197 to 225 conversion and late DMW.

Parkinson, Marcelle and others also made cylinders but these I am unfamiliar with, possibly someone with engineering connections could have produced one or more as well.

The last type of DMW cylinder was designed for use with the shorter 5 1/4" conrod, all Greeves and DOT barrels that I have come across use the longer rod as does the MotoX conversion that Garyhib has.

Irrespective of rod length the stroke remains the same at 72mm.

The porting in your cylinder appears to be very similar to the other Villiers fit barrels but without accurate measurements from known cylinders it is not possible to say. Often the greatest visible difference is the size/shape of the inlet port but maybe the biggest perfomance vaiation would be due to the type of head and compression ratio used.

Hope this helps.

Hi trf, very good to read your interesting comments.

I have also , what I believe is a very late DMW barrel and head.

If I could find the time to fit it !!!!

The Norton is still going strong and is reliable, so there is no need to improve the Greeves for the moment.

Regards.

Christian.

Edited by christian

Hi trf, very good to read your interesting comments.

I have also , what I believe is a very late DMW barrel and head.

If I could find the time to fit it !!!!

The Norton is still going strong and is reliable, so there is no need to improve the Greeves for the moment.

Regards.

Christian.

Is the Norton a 500T rigid Christian?

• 2 weeks later...

Is the Norton a 500T rigid Christian?

Hello Tsf, tthe Norton is not rigid, in fact it is a Noriel with a model 19 engine and burman gearbox, Norton fork, cub hubs, I bought it a the Talmag well 12 years ago.

Its terrifying bike to ride but I like her so much.I think it is my last trial bike. 

post-3638-0-22158700-1460313706_thumb.jpg

Edited by christian
  • Like 3

christian, on 10 Apr 2016 - 7:42 PM, said:

Hello Tsf, tthe Norton is not rigid, in fact it is a Noriel with a model 19 engine and burman gearbox, Norton fork, cub hubs, I bought it a the Talmag well 12 years ago.

Its terrifying bike to ride but I like her so much.I think it is my last trial bike. 

attachicon.gifWP_20160328_0011.jpg

Proudly displaying a fresh coat of mud a proper trials bike.

• Like 1