Sun Wasp Trials Bike

hewson

Looks very similar to my dad's ol' Tandon Kangaroo.....

Nice to see the one on the left has proper forks..... can't beat a constant wheelbase.

How about this then spen?  Sorry about the forks but Mr Tandon (Yes, I met him!) used teles usually.

He had his little factory/workshop in the basement of our building in Watford.

post-19290-0-18494200-1459530202_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387
  • Like 2

I have a feeling that the Sun cycle brand ended up here in Worksop as part of the Carlton Cycles set up, which in turn was bought out by Raleigh in Nottingham.

My old neighbour, long since departed, Eddie Haslehurst was the Carlton Cycles racing division frame man, I have never, ever seen brazing as good on anything. What a craftsman he was.

Looking at those seat springs I see why it was called 'kangaroo'

Hahaha, my dad, and many others, bought them requiring a bit of building up. There was some tax loophole which made them cheaper when they arrived in 'kit form'.

a thought deryk would you allow the tandon to compete as it was either a monoshock or did they have two bits of rubber controlling the rear suspension  that would make it a twinshock , your comments ,  will

• Like 1

Hi Will,

I no longer express my thoughts or sentiments about machine eligibility problems , for one thing I am no longer fit enough to be able to travel to all of the events and really see for myself exactly what the problems are.

Secondly, although I created the pre-65 definition and helped greatly in the successful spawning of a new (at the time) and now very active branch of the sport one has to realise that to have actually ridden in a trial before 1965, a rider would need to have been born before 1949, in other words, he would definitely be a pensioner now - and there aren't that many pensioners riding actively in trials.  That means the sport is now in the hands of generations of riders and organisers who have no personal insight of what it was all about - or why we created the sport in the first place.  

In any case, it is their sport now - and up to them how they organise it and themselves.

I rest my case, I am available for advice or accurate historical reference - but that has to be all.

Deryk

PS What about the Vincents in the Talmag...............

Edited by laird387

Looks very similar to my dad's ol' Tandon Kangaroo.....

Nice to see the one on the left has proper forks..... can't beat a constant wheelbase.

Hi spen,

How about this to stir the memories - one of Mr Tandon's scramblers in action...........

post-19290-0-98256900-1460283754_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

deryk as you know I was born before 1949 and will soon be repaired and out on a new l/w panther outfit ,my comment was not what you would have done in the day but what class would the latest organisers fit a tandon kangaroo in as it must have been one of the rarer suspension set ups , it has got me thinking what an outfit would handle like with this sort of rear suspension ,and a pair of rubber bands will be a lot cheaper that modern suspension units . will