Mart Lampkin - Sad Loss Of A True Trials Legend

johnnyboxer

Just got back from Manchester Motorcycle Show and shocked to hear this sad news. I had the pleasure of riding near Martin in the SSDT on the Honda RTL and one of the best weeks I had up there.

RIP Martin thoughts with all the family

• Like 1

A sad day. I can remember meeting him about 40 years ago when he was riding the Knut. Perfect gentleman,signed autographs on our pieces of paper fertiliser sack. Then when he and two of his mates left the group of sections,all three in a row did perfect wheelies for about 100 yards up a steep hill. Top man,never forget that !

• Like 3

It's very saddening to read the news, Martin was a great trials rider and an ambassador for the sport.

I will always remember him for being a true Yorkshireman and for getting a brilliant clean on one of the harder sections at the Wye Valley in 1977, bouncing off almost every rock on the way up the gully.

PeterB.

• Like 2

A few years ago I was asked to write piece for the pre-65 programme, I referred in that article to my childhood and mentioned my Martin Lampkin Scrapbook. It's safe to say that he was and always will be my trials hero and tonight I feel a wee bit of my childhood has gone. I send my deepest condolences to the Lampkin family tonight. Rest in Peace Martin

• Like 5

Awful news.  I had the pleasure of meeting him a couple of times on the Dougie training days.  He was a great teacher and so approachable.  And he was my childhood hero in the 70s.  Condolences to all the family.